Interesting articles on global warming

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Re: Interesting articles on global warming

Post by Dubble Trubble »

wevans wrote:
Jhults11 wrote:I have watched this thread for a couple days now and bit my tongue long enough. As a current student in the environmental field at FSU, I have read numerous pubs over the years in many different scientific journals regarding global warming. IMO based on the conclusions I have drawn from research, you would have to be blind to disagree with the fact the the earth is heating up! It is common sense, the global population has increased exponentially in the past 200 years. With the millions of people we keep putting on the earth every year it should be clear that more and more resources are being used such as fossil fuels. This plays a major factor regarding the greenhouse gasses we put into the atmosphere. The concentration of CO2 has increased by 30% in less than 300 years. With more people on this planet than ever, nobody can argue we aren't using more fossil fuels than ever. BBG, leave all your previous thoughts at the door, step outside the box and take a look at the raw data. Look at photos of glaciers from the 1950s and look at them now? I suppose all those pics are photoshopped, right? I guess all those peer reviewed pubs regarding biological communities retreating due to increasing temperatures was a hoax, right? Hell, take a mosey down alligator point and check out those houses on the gulf side! I bet those homeowners could give us all some wisdom regarding sea level rise. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but I have gathered my opinion from peer reviewed scientific journals...please inform me the next time fox news holds a convention on global warming. Take a look at this link, I know it's just an "opinion" from a professor/scientist that has over 100 pier reviews publications regarding these topics, but you might learn something ;-) ! Y'all have a great weekend and stay safe! :thumbup:
http://www.actionbioscience.org/environ ... anton.html
:-D :smt004 :beer: :beer:

That chart just backs up the CO2 problem, and there I side with the other side. However, I think we also need to factor in the MAJOR deforestation going on in the tropics. Remember from science class kids, Plants take in CO2 and put out Oxygen from photosynthesis, however they do actually take in a little oxygen too..........

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
cast-n-stone
Site Sponsor

Post by cast-n-stone »

Hey Jhults11 , are all those classes your taking in a air conditioned and lighted classroom? You sittin in A/c now? Your computer operating on solar or wind? Just wondering!
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

cast-n-stone wrote:Hey Jhults11 , are all those classes your taking in a air conditioned and lighted classroom? You sittin in A/c now? Your computer operating on solar or wind? Just wondering!
^We have a dam comedian in the house folks, he will be here all night! I never said that the human population as a whole (myself included) wasn't the root of the problem as you have insinuated. I actually reiterated the fact that we are the core reason behind global warming. If you would READ my original thread, I provided information as to why my opinion backs global warming. And once again, cns (you still with me or have I gone too fast) I agree with the scientific community. I agree the increase of industry and excessive use of fossil fuels has lead the increase of CO2 emissions, thus causing the temperature to rise. And in regard to this ENTIRE thread which was started by non other the $heet disturbing weavons, let's be professional and courthouse. Everyone has a right to what they believe in. I know I won't change the way any of y'all feel about global warming, but what I have done is provided information from an opposing side. I try to be as open minded as possible in all aspects of life, but when overwhelming amounts of data are available at the fingertips and an internet connection, it makes it easy to form a valid opinion. :thumbup:
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

You might want to read this:

https://us-mg204.mail.yahoo.com/neo/lau ... g8d40#mail

Seems that there are a LOT of PhD's who do not agree with man made global warming.

What most who believe fail to realize is that there is natural phenomenon that overshadows man as the problem. That natural occurrence is a volcanic eruption. One volcanic eruption spews more gases and solids into the atmosphere in a matter of days and or months than man had done in a thousand years.

I don't think we should be unmindful of mother earth, but I equally don't believe the hysteria that some are trying to preach.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I have a question about Antarctica.
While there is a massive glacier on the melt in the West, and has been for a few hundred thousand years,why is Eastern Antarctica growing ice fields at 100,000 sq. miles per day?
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
HewesMan

Post by HewesMan »

Good point JT.

I also thought it was really funny when that boat went down there to look at all the disappearing ice down in Antarctica and their boat get stuck in the ice for weeks. Sure do hope those global warming activists had fun with all that heat down there.

I believe that we need to take care of this planet the best that we can. I do not think that taxing people is the way to achieve this. This planet has taken care of itself for a long time and I believe that God is in charge of everything and if we all are supposed to die from the planet warming up then there is nothing that we can do about that at all.

I also believe that we should have more than 150 years of temperature data before we start making claims about global warming. The planet has been regulating itself for thousands of years and there is not way we can go back and look at temperatures to get a really good data sample.
reelhandy
Site Sponsor

Post by reelhandy »

I think the premise of climate change being affected by the increase of CO2 in the atmosphere can be used to reduce the dependence the world has on burning fossil fuels. I also believe that oil production cannot continue to provide a relatively cheap form of fuel indefinitely, so for that reason I support the premise. At the same time I realize that if left unchecked, that the supporters of the premise of climate change being caused by the burning of fossil fuels would attempt to implement policies that would go well beyond what is needed to gradually steer mankind toward alternate energy sources, so for that reason I am against the premise of climate change being caused by the burning of fossil fuels. In other words I support an on going debate.
As far as whether or not I truly believe that man's activities are affecting climate change, I honestly don't know. I'm pretty sure though that if we are there's not a lot that we could do at this point to stop it, and I believe that the earth and nature will adapt and flourish regardless.
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

God will be the one to determine this whole subject. He is the creator and has all control!
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Jumptrout51 wrote:I have a question about Antarctica.
While there is a massive glacier on the melt in the West, and has been for a few hundred thousand years,why is Eastern Antarctica growing ice fields at 100,000 sq. miles per day?
I found the answer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Antarctica
Antarctica is in fact growing in size.
The Western ice melt is a naturally occurring event.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Gumbo

Post by Gumbo »

Alright, so let's all agree that we did not evolve from apes and should not drive electric cars. And we need to stay away from JT's super secret spots.

Let's all also agree, I hope, that the planet has warmed and cooled numerous times long before we were born.

The question here is whether we are currently contributing, as a society, to a disruption in the current cycle. Personally and quite obviously, I believe we are. Hard to imagine all we have done has had no impact at all. And, no, I'm not smarter because I live by a Professor. But reading his research and data give me a better understanding than the internet ever could.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Appreciating that there have been multiple people who have chimed in with varying claims of expertise based on climate analysis, I'll just add this. I don't think a single person who has chimed in has more expertise/direct data analysis than:

- Professor of Meteorology at (MIT), physicist Professor Richard Lindzen
- John Christy, Professor of Atmospheric Science at the University of Alabama in Huntsville
- Judith Curry, Chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at Georgia Tech

If one person feels qualified to claim more expertise / show false bias of the above named individuals, I sincerely ask that you share why so I can know.

As for charts showing what alarmists believe is direct correlation between man-made activity and warming, I take it that you either didn't follow climategate or prefer not to consider it as meaningful. Bet the very same folks claiming belief in warming are familiar with the data analysis mantra, "Garbage in, garbage out". Climategate showed through direct email correspondence that 1) numerous scientists were aware that some data was NOT showing the direct correlation they wanted the charts to show, and 2) that they specifically directed data be changed in order to falsely support correlation.

I understand the frustration from the firm believers that not everyone buys in as much as they do, BUT, before labeling anyone who disagrees with you as idiotic, pause to weigh what we've seen: 1) alarmist claims that proved entirely false (20' tidal rise / ice caps completely melted), combined with 2) scandals where data was directed to be altered.

I'll be less skeptical of data/claims when the scientific community quits blockading those scientists who don't support man-made climate change from having their journals published / having the ability to engage in the discussion of climate change. My personal observation over a lifetime is those who have the strongest position don't fear challenges, but instead welcome them, as they wish to disprove critics.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Gumbo

Post by Gumbo »

Dr. Jeff Chanton. I'll send you his materials so you can tell me why you know more than he does after he conducted a few decades of research in the field, including watching the permafrost melt, than you know after a few hours of research on the internet.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Where exactly did he observe this permafrost melt.
There are regions around the world that wait for permafrost melt to bury their dead.
Typically the melt is followed by freezing.
And the cycle repeats itself.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Gumbo wrote:Dr. Jeff Chanton. I'll send you his materials so you can tell me why you know more than he does after he conducted a few decades of research in the field, including watching the permafrost melt, than you know after a few hours of research on the internet.
:thumbup: This was the professor I was talking about earlier in this thread! Dude knows more about this subject than just about anyone in North America!
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Jhults11 wrote:
Gumbo wrote:Dr. Jeff Chanton. I'll send you his materials so you can tell me why you know more than he does after he conducted a few decades of research in the field, including watching the permafrost melt, than you know after a few hours of research on the internet.
:thumbup: This was the professor I was talking about earlier in this thread! Dude knows more about this subject than just about anyone in North America!
If you and Gumbo believe global warming to be true,why have so many scientist falsified records to validate global warming?
Secondly,why has the alarm recently been changed from global warming to climate change?
Third,over the centuries many scientific "facts" have been proven wrong. How would you explain that?
WHOSE FISH IS IT?