Carrabelle...I mean...St. Marks 07-15-2006

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Carrabelle...I mean...St. Marks 07-15-2006

Post by Tom Keels »

The day started off like most days. Met Joe and Andre at Joe's house. Back my truck up to the boat and hook up. Loaded the boat and we departed about 6:15.

Made our way almost to Lanark when I heard a noise and looked in the rear view mirror. Smoke was pouring out from the tires. I was thinking we slung a bearing but it was worse, or better, depending on how you look at it. Both the leafsprings on the front axle broke and caused the fenders to rest on the tires. As we were surveying the damage Andre tried to balance himself on the fender and burnt the crap out of his hand on it.

Luckily I had some tools and we were able to take the fenders off and tie up the spring hangers. We were able to get turned around and headed back towards Coastal Trailer. On the way we saw a bear and 3 cubs crossing the road at St. Theresa. We were less than a mile from Coastal when I notice one of the tires is slinging pieces. Stop on the road and notice one of the fender braces we left on had fallen forward and gouged the front tire.

We tied it up and limped up to costal and dropped off the boat and loaded all the gear into my truck.

Andre keeps his boat at Jerry's so we figured we would go there and use his boat instead. It was only about 9 at this point. Then Andre remembered his keys are back in his truck at Joe's house in Tally!

We made the treck back to tally, got the keys and headed back south again. We arrived at Shields and got the boat in the water at the crack of ELEVEN!

Good thing was the seas were very light and we made it to Marker 24 in no time. Hit the first spot in 32 feet and I proceed to miss my first 4 shots at the school of gags surrounding me. Finally got one to the stringer along with a big trigger. The vis here was top to bottom and at least 50 feet horizontal. Joe went trecking off and came back with a nice hog.

Andre dove it solo and got a nice hog and trigger.

Next stop was a bunch of rocks in 28 feet. Current was now ripping and the vis dropped to a hazy 20 feet. Lots of life here as these pics and movies will show.

Movie One

Movie Two

Andre and I both shot borderline but short gags and I had one small hog on my stringer. I was cruising around a rock when I met a 6 foot bull face to face. :o

We both startled each other and he booked it the other way. I came back and gave Andre the shark sign and I took a few pics.

I was just about to call the dive when I looked up and see a wall of cobia. Probably 20 to 30 fish all keepers with some that looked 50 + in the bunch. I am so excited I can hardly stand it. Just as I started to rig my line shaft I noticed a very big tail amongst the cobia. As I got closer I saw a big bull. Probably 8-9 foot. "Ok, no problem, just shoot one cobe and hightail it out." About that time the school turns right and I see the rest of the sharks. 5 bulls from 6 to 8 feet long. They are diving underneath and around the rocks and are in a frenzy. Probably after the short gags Andre and I left on the bottom. Once I got my wits about me and figured out what was going on, (everything was in slow motion), I turned and was out of there. Luckily I only had to ascend about 15 feet to the surface because I imagine I looked like the scene from "Hunt for Red October" as I breached the surface. I yelled to Joe to get me out of the water. Andre of course is already back on the boat. He left after I gave the shark sign.

That was an adrenaline filled 45 seconds that I will not soon forget.

The rest of the days dives were pretty uneventful. We dove some pretty spots but no more fish came aboard. Headed back in about 5:00 and it was a bumpy one as the sea breeze had built up.

We were back at Joe's at 7:30. 14 hours after my day had begun. 230 miles on the trip meter in the truck.:smt015
Tom Keels
Site Founder

dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Way kewl :thumbup: :thumbup:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

As always great report :thumbup: :thumbup:
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Excellent! :thumbup: :thumbup:
GULP! free since 1970.
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

Great report and pics. That hog is a beauty. I was hoping the story was going to involve a cobia ride for you.
Frank Bradfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Frank Bradfield »

Good job ! Next cobia you see you'll be looking around i'm sure ! :o At least you brought home some fish sandwiches ! :thumbup:
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Dang...I bet seeing a school of cobia like that was a rush. Then I bet seeing what was tailing them was even more of a rush!!! :-D :-D :thumbup: :thumbup:
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Nice report!
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Sorry to hear about the trailer problems. Been there, done that....TWICE!!!! Last time it happened was between here and Destin....had to limp it back to Tally going 30 m.p.h. down I-10....thank God for tandem axles!! I'm glad to hear that it didn't ruin your day though. Nice pics of the dive and great report after such a long day.....
Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

Great report Tom. And thanks for the pics. 8)
Sea Ya !
Knot Tester

Post by Knot Tester »

Dang! Image
Last year you wouldn't even post pictures.. now we have movies! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Image

Now, how bout a look at that old k&o towers???
DWilliams

Post by DWilliams »

Thanks for sharing the pics and movies.
catchin1

Post by catchin1 »

Dude, your diving reports are better than watching Discovery. :thumbup:

Don't even think I'll bother reporting "had 3 keepers and threw back several....... :smt015 :smt015
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Nice pics and movies. :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Wow- makes me want to dive! :-D
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.