St. Marks 11-19-2002

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

St. Marks 11-19-2002

Post by Tom Keels »

I watched the weather all day Monday and made the decesion to take Tuesday off. I talked my father-in-law Sonny in to taking the day off too.

We got to the lighthouse at almost 7 and there was hardly enough water to launch the Key West but we got it in. Had to use the trolling motor to get down the canal though. Once out in the channel we were greeted by 1-2 foot seas with a short period. We decided to stay close and troll a while. Started in 15 feet with maulers and rapalas. First fish was a short gag. The next fish I marked on the recorder and said "get ready". Boom the rod bent double. 28" gag in the box on the blue fire tiger rapala. Trolled a little more and got another short gag.

We decided to move a little more ESE and troll along the crab pot lines. Marked some great bottom along the way but only picked up lizard fish. As the day wore on the seas calmed more and more. Finally made our way out south of Marker 24 in 30 feet of water, intended to troll, but the grass was way too thick. Threw the marker on some bottom and got the anchor to stick the first time. Sonny dropped down half an ly and I dropped down a jig with a Fishbite. Both hooked up as soon as we were on bottom. Sonny with a short gag on a grouper stick, me with a short red on my calcutta 250 with 16# line.

Next few drops for me were grunts, but Sonny hooked into something huge. Turned out to be a 40" bull redfish. A quick picture and back he went.
I put out the king rod with half an ly and went back to my jig. The next drop for me and the fight was on. Back and forth finally produced a 22" gag, which was much more fun on the light tackle than some of the big ones. Sonny hooked up again this time with a 25" gag. Then the king rod went off and stopped. I started reeling and the fish didn't move for a while, then it bolted and stopped. After I finally got him off the bottom, I knew what it was, and 5 minutes later we had another gag in the box, this one about 23". The next drop for me on the jig I got freight trained into the rocks. Then I hear Sonny yelling and his rod tip is in the water. After a grueling battle, I helped lift a 30" gag into the box.
No sooner was the lid closed than the flyline went off again. This time it was a bigger fish. After about 10 minutes another 40" redfish came boatside and was released.

We ended the day by getting freight trained into the rocks on the king rod again and breaking the 7 strand leader. We decided to call it a day and ran in on flat calm seas and we were back at the lighthouse at 3:00.

Total Tally:
7 gags to 30"
6 Grunts
1 16" Rockbass
2 40" reds
about a dozen shorts caught and released
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Reel Country
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Country »

Tom,
What's your sick calendar look like around Dec 18-20? :wink:
Good catch. Does the water leave the Lighthouse launch this time of year? Remember, I've never fished in the winter, usually too busy chasing deer.
Last edited by Reel Country on November 22nd, 2002, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

Hey Tom good looking fish looks like a lot of fun I can't weat to get some shallow grouper fishing done.......Maybe after the first of the year you could see clear to take me on one of them trips like that......... :D
Tight Lines @ Screaming Reels
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Hey Tom. Where is the light house ramp? Can you get a 18 foot CC in there?
Also, I did not crabs smoked pot. The fact that they get in a line to do this is a hoot.

Thanks

A rookie
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

RC - We got lucky to launch. There was just enough water to pull the boat with the trolling motor. We'll go whenever you are ready.

BD - I'd love to take you sometime. The only problem with the wintertime is the weather. Most of our small boat trips are spur of the moment. You got to go when the gettin is good! :)

TD - I answered you on the FS board.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

Tom..... I can understand that spare of the moment is the best way sometimes...... :D
Tight Lines @ Screaming Reels