Alligator Point 11-30-02

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fish finder
Site Sponsor

Alligator Point 11-30-02

Post by fish finder »

Although the forecast was gloomy, I had a client with family down from Montana and they wanted to give it a try. Got to the reef to try for some live bait, no luck. After only a couple of pinners in the live well, decided to go with the frozen LY's. Headed out to 35 ft in 4ft seas, hit one of my winter holes with some success, but it was rough and getting worse. After 3keepers and several shorts and several more breakoffs, we decided to hang in there and went to 50ft. Marked some good fish, anchored up and had a preety good bite for about an hour. Fellow from Montana put one at 30" in the box and he was happy. Had another 3 keepers before the grouper quit and let the grunts and rock bass take over. Trolled back towards the hill with seas increasing. No grouper but did pick up one Kingfish at 28" Made one last stop in 30ft and the biggest fish of the day break the hook after 2 minutes of serious tug of war. My guess is a nice grouper or maybe even a jewfish. Ah, the one that got away! :P At the end of the day, everyone was happy with a mixed bag cooler full. Back at the Marina at 4:00. Water was rough and murky at about 60 degrees.
Green grass and high tides,
Capt. Jay
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

That's a group that WANTED to fish. Good report.
What was I supposed to do today?