Sapelo Island?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Sapelo Island?

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Anyone here ever been on a quota deer hunt there? :-D What can you tell me about it?
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:o Nobody here hunts........I guess??? :o
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Never heard of it. Where's it at :beer:
GC
Site Sponsor

Post by GC »

I've been! :thumbup: Three times. But, haven't been in the last 8-10 years.

Not sure what info you're looking for, but just ask if I leave something out.

We took our boat each time. You have to cross the Sapelo sound to get there....it can get rough if the wind kicks up. But, we never had too much trouble.

The camp sites are nice! Some of the best camping I've ever done.
When you get there and check in, you will draw a spot to hunt. (bout 8-10 acres) They'll take you out on wagons, pulled by DNR trucks, to the spot and let you scout and put up you stand the day before the hunt.

On the day of the hunts they fire up the generator around 5:00 am, and it will wake everyone in camp! They take you to the stand, come back and get you a little before lunch (only if you want), then they'll take you back round 2-3:00 in the afternoon and pick you up at dark.

Plenty of hogs, deer, turkey, etc.

They have a freezer to put your deer in after the kill. If you kill a buck, you clean it. If you kill a doe, they clean it. (research time of rut)

They have a few showers and rest rooms.

You will need to take all food and drink.

Can fish off the dock during the mid-day.

I'll say it again....THE CAMPSITE IS NICE!!! Old oaks with spanish moss for shade, right on the canal.

What else??
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Been there for waterfowl hunts. Nice place. As for deer I don't hunt them. but if it flies. it dies
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

We have a few folks who hunt without a fishing rod. I've never been there but I have a moto similar to Tidedancer.... If it flies.... I TRY!! :oops:
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".