Why the rule?

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Why the rule?

Post by Redbelly »

At Miccosukkee for a 5 hp or less for duckie hunts?

And why electric motor only at Iamonia.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
bman

Post by bman »

Its to keep the ducks there so we can hunt them.
Air boats and big go devils running around will run every duck off the lake.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Aaaaahhhh...they should do so at the Semihole also.

I am going to gear up for ducking at Micc and Iamonia this year. I have been out of the ringers for awhile. Time to dust off the coot and bluebill dekes. :D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Actually, the 5 hp law on Miccosukee was put into affect many years ago, in the 70's , I believe, after a small boat was swamped by a larger boat well before daylight, and the occupants were killed.

I don't know why the electric only rule on Iamonia. It used to be no auxilary power of any kind.
What was I supposed to do today?
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

tin can wrote:Actually, the 5 hp law on Miccosukee was put into affect many years ago, in the 70's , I believe, after a small boat was swamped by a larger boat well before daylight, and the occupants were killed.

I don't know why the electric only rule on Iamonia. It used to be no auxilary power of any kind.
Houses of rich folks within earshot.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Browning Slayer
Site Sponsor

Post by Browning Slayer »

bman wrote:Its to keep the ducks there so we can hunt them.
Air boats and big go devils running around will run every duck off the lake.
I fish a lot of the State parks around here (GA) with motor restrictions and they don't mind you putting a big boat in as long as you use the "No Wake" zone philosophy. Keep it at idle and you're fine. I see nothing wrong with these rules.

These rules are primarily set to keep Jet Skis off the water! :thumbup:
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

You can only use electric outboards on most large reservoirs and fishing lakes in the UK, whilst fishing.
This is to avoid noise, pollution, excessive wakes, erosion, weed damage, etc.

We cannot shoot wildfowl from a boat with an engine.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Tom Keels wrote:
tin can wrote:Actually, the 5 hp law on Miccosukee was put into affect many years ago, in the 70's , I believe, after a small boat was swamped by a larger boat well before daylight, and the occupants were killed.

Houses of rich folks within earshot.
That would be my guess.
GULP! free since 1970.
weaver brown

why the rule

Post by weaver brown »

Is duck hunting on Lake Talquin any good???
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Sharks R Us wrote: These rules are primarily set to keep Jet Skis off the water! :thumbup:

And what about those smart asses in those gazillion HP bass boats? Sorry, but I own 2 Jetskis, and get real riled when anyone singles them out. There are pricks everywhere. Think before you speak.

The statement itself did not bother me, it was the :thumbup: after it.

Hooked :thumbdown:
Last edited by Dubble Trubble on September 20th, 2006, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Like it or not Hooked, they will be singled out most of the time "due to the lack of courtesy and down right recklessness of most of their operators" :smt012 :beer:
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

wevans wrote:"due to the lack of courtesy and down right recklessness of most of their operators" :smt012 :beer:

LOL, you talking about the jetskis, or the bass boats.

Hooked :-D
Last edited by Dubble Trubble on September 20th, 2006, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
grim reeler

Post by grim reeler »

I attended the public hearings about micosukkee motor restrictions back in the day with my father.

IMO, they are more about bought and paid for FWC officials and wealthy land owners than safety. They didnt want the peasants shooting at the lake where their birds rested during the day in between trips to their flooded corn ponds.

Iammonia isnt any different. Look to the exception to the rule out there that the island land owners do not have to follow the no motor rule.

Jackson and Seminole hold birds all winter with motors running all day.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

This issue reminds me of back when I was a young man and we had dune buggies. We used to go down to St Georges island and to the left about a half mile to ride. They stopped it all saying we were tearing the dunes down. You wanna know what happened to those dunes?

Then we found a place to ride near Destin, and rode there for a few years. Same story, we were tearing up dunes. Wanna know what happened to those dunes?

Those beautiful dunes we used to make a narrow roads thru are now flat. Bulldozers made them dissappear so condos and parking lots could be built.

Nothing matters but money boys, believe that!

Hooked :smt013
grim reeler

Re: why the rule

Post by grim reeler »

weaver brown wrote:Is duck hunting on Lake Talquin any good???
You got to work at it. You can get some woodies and maybe some teal up the the creeks and in the trees near the mouth of the river(s). Blue bills and cans will set up in open water, but are hard to get to. You almost need to layout to get to them and the amount of fishing traffic makes this a spotty proposition.

We used to have a spot that on the way back from seminole, we could drop in and make a 5 minute run to flush out a bunch of woodies. In ten minutes they would filter back in and we could pick up a couple pretty quick. But shooting draws spectators and then copy cats, so any hole you have is only a temporary thing.