Armadillo help

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

grim reeler

Armadillo help

Post by grim reeler »

How do you catch an armadillo?

I have one that has taken to digging a number of holes in my yard. I buried all but about 6 inches of a 5 foot branch in one of them. I have filled the others with dirt or flooded them, only to have this varmit dig them back out (not the branch).

I am ready to take this sucker out - a .22 with subsonic ammo should be fine and not bother the neighbors, but he is slick. I rarely see him, and he is quick when I do. I dont have the patience to wait him out. If my dog takes after him, he hides under the shed, which is unaccessable.

:evil:

Do traps work for these guys? Bait? Poisoned grubs?
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good morning GR.

Sent ya a PM.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
bman

Post by bman »

I had a quail hunting trip a few years ago and the dog kept pointing armadillos. After the first few we started shooting them. They Jump when the gun went off so aim high!

I know they eat worms and grubs- wonder if you could poison some freshwater GULP worms?
BWB
Last edited by bman on October 10th, 2006, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

leave a trail of grubs to your neighbor's yard :thumbup:
grim reeler

Post by grim reeler »

Will_Fish_4_Food wrote:leave a trail of grubs to your neighbor's yard :thumbup:
She already blocked the hole under the fence.

:smt013

My wife was amused at the sight of me looking for him in the dark with a net in one hand and a frog gigger in the other.
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

A friend got his by blasting it at night, in his underwear, with a 410 shotgun :thumbup: Course, next time his wife watered the lawn, the hose leaked all over :lol:

Put a chicken egg in a box trap and place it where the dillo moves through, should get em...
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

One thing that will help a lot is to spread a good insecticide over your lawn. No Bugs, No Armadillos.

We make an evening trip out of getting on the Mule (Kawasaki not animal)
with a 12 ga 3 inch Magnum loaded with BB shot and go "Diller huntin"

You boys in Florida can have these critters back, we don't want 'em up here...

Hooked :-D
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Just like RS said. Get a couple of box traps, Hav-a-hart for example. Many baits will work. Eggs, can of sardines, etc. Place the box trap along an edge where the armadillo will be working along. A flower bed for example. It'll probably take a few nights but you'll get him. along with all of the stray cats and dogs, coons, possums that come out at night. They'll generally hold real still for you in the trap while you get the gun.
GULP! free since 1970.
tallywoodsman

I hate hate hate armadillos

Post by tallywoodsman »

They've got me too. I live in south Georgia and battle them every few weeks. I've killed three this summer with a maglite and a .22 (maglite to see them, not to hit them with). They have destroyed my sleep life. Every time I wake up to use the bathroom I instictively grab my .22 and a flashlight. I quietly open the back door, raise my gun and click the light. My wife thinks I've lost my mind but if I don't retaliate my yard will look like the moon. I've heard traps are hit or miss but so is stalking/shooting them. My neighbor does the insecticide and that tends to work for a while.

I'm thinking about putting one of my dogs in the backyard at night to keep them from doing their dirty work. Good luck, you are up against a formidable enemy.
Pangler
Site Sponsor

armidillo's

Post by Pangler »

Check with your local farm supply store and get something to kill the insects they're after. Gramling's or whoever. That will slow them down.
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

birddog wrote: They'll generally hold real still for you in the trap while you get the gun.
Now that made me laugh right there! :-D :-D
I have to second the fact that they jump when the gun goes off.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

:thumbup: :lol:
GULP! free since 1970.
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

They seem to have trouble avoiding cars. Just drive around your yard. That should take care of 'em. :thumbup:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

:lol: :lol:
GULP! free since 1970.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Eerman wrote:They seem to have trouble avoiding cars. Just drive around your yard. That should take care of 'em. :thumbup:
You owe me a new keyboard since I just spit my drink all over mine. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tom Keels
Site Founder