Keaton Beach Offshore 18 Feb 03

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

chugbug

Keaton Beach Offshore 18 Feb 03

Post by chugbug »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I should have posted this earlier, but here it goes. Report from Fossils Guy and my trip.

Neither Chug or I could sleep. He arrived at about 2 AM and I got there at 4:30. We waited until 6:45 and headed out with the 15 knot winds at our backs. The seas were pretty rough (up to 5 footers) and I had to work at not spewing the contents of my stomach into the Gulf.
Chug navigated to some numbers that he had converted from Loran and we started trolling. Within 2 minutes, I was puilling in a nice 24 incher that hit Chug's 30 Loud. We got a couple good strikes and a fat little red then went bottom fishing.

Chug decided to move the anchor up a few feet while I was soaking an LY head. I joked about my new trolling technique and got hit hard. After a few drag screams and getting him off the bottom a couple dozen feet, I lost him. Turns out the hook that either BigE or I had tied had come united!

We decided to stay put. Chug was pulling the anchor up a little when he got whacked. he dropped the line and wrestled in a nice 10# Gag. There was a brief panic when the fish came up because he was barely hooked and my gaffing skills suck. We got him though. Chug then used another of MY squirrel fish and caught another 9.5#er. We moved again and I landed another nice gag.

Totals were 4 keepers, 9 shorts, a binch of nice grunts and black fish, a big Pogie and ONE INCORRECTLY TIED HOOK!

We fished in 55 feet most of the day. The most striking thing about the fish is that 3 of the keepers hooked hit moving baits.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nyangh!

Alert Moderator
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Nice report, chugbug.

The "untying hook", has happened to all of us.
The strange thing is, that its never a small fish that gets lost. :(

Were you using livebaits when you anchored, or cut fish?

What did you do with the "large Pogie"?
If that was a menhaden, I thought they were not edible.

Excuse the questions, but I know nothing. :D
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

Cran,
I can't remeber what that fish was, I said Pogie but it wasn't. I caught my fish on live squirrel fish. One of the better baits for Grouper, I my opinion. They're harty and stay alive for awhile. We also caught fish on cut LY's. I had a good laugh when he pulled his line up and it was all curly from being tied :D
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

So, this is the top grouper bait ?

Good old Google. :)
Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

I don't know about grouper but I bass love them red fish..... :)
Tight Lines @ Screaming Reels