Georgia Trout Fishing Help

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

noleflyfisher
Site Sponsor

Georgia Trout Fishing Help

Post by noleflyfisher »

I'm heading to Dahlonega this weekend to visit family. Thought I might take my flyrod and do a little trout fishing. I fished some small creeks last year and did so, so. Can anyone recommend some decent trout water within an hour or two of Dahlonega? I don't mind hiking or fishing off the beaten path. Wild trout would be nice but anything will do. Thanks for any help. :thumbup:
volguy

freshy trout

Post by volguy »

i wish i could help you just to repay you for all the great post and reports you put on the fishing reports section. unfortunately i do know much about the trout fishing in north ga. however, post up on this website and drop my name (volguy) and someone might feel sorry for you b/c you used my name and give you some help hahahahah. there are several on there that fish. http://forum.gon.com/ you will have to create a username and password, but it might help.
Nolzman

Post by Nolzman »

This one may be a better site.

http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/ngto/
bman

Post by bman »

NGTO is a great site... I was active on their forum when I lived in Atlanta.

We fish the Chattooga out of Clayton once or twice a year....
That would be a fair drive from Dehlonega.

The Chattahoochee in Helen is an easy river- just get out early before the tubers.

If you are willing to pay for a guide these guys have it going on...
http://www.unicoioutfitters.com/
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
noleflyfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by noleflyfisher »

Thanks fellas.
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

My dad has caught a lot of fish in the hiawassee river, might want to look into it.
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
rrteam3

Post by rrteam3 »

I endorse NGTO and uncoi outfitters as well. Unicoi outfitters is easy to find, just south of Helen or just give them a call. They have some private streams with, and I know it's hard to believe, some brown trout weighing more than 5 pounds!

If you're feeling more adventurous, there's a great trophy stream at Dukes Creek. I've also enjoyed fishing Smith Creek both above and below Lake Unicoi. Plenty of info is available at NGTO, happy fishing!

edit to add: I couldn't figure out how to upload a pic of one of those giant brown trout, so I at least added one to my profile!
Capt Reggie
Site Sponsor

Post by Capt Reggie »

:wink: I'll give you two or three sweet spots and a fine restaurant while you are in the area by pm :email: It just so happens I spent the past 20 years fishing those Georgia mountains for trout, my fly fishing friend, so here goes! :thumbup:
My hobby is Smart Outdoors, LLC.
CrispyFishin

Post by CrispyFishin »

Try downstream of Amicalola Falls State Park, and good luck!
Work 'em silly Gators!!
noleflyfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by noleflyfisher »

Ended up fishing a small feeder creek (between 2500-3000 ft elevation) based on some advice here and elsewhere. Thanks again fellas:

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Thanks Nole... those are some of the prettiest things that swim!
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Capt Reggie
Site Sponsor

Grand Slam - southern style!

Post by Capt Reggie »

:thumbup: Nicely done, Noleflyfisherman. I congratulate you on accomplishing the Georgia Mountain Grand Slam of Trout Fishing - Rainbow, Brookie, & Brown trout! It doesn't get any better than what you have done, sir, especially on a flyrod. 8)

Please tell me you put the Salvelinus fontinalis back in the water as they are a rare specie now, even in their home waters of these high mountain, remote, small clear streames! :smt007
My hobby is Smart Outdoors, LLC.
noleflyfisher
Site Sponsor

Re: Grand Slam - southern style!

Post by noleflyfisher »

Capt Reggie wrote:
Please tell me you put the Salvelinus fontinalis back in the water as they are a rare specie now, even in their home waters of these high mountain, remote, small clear streames! :smt007
Of course. I haven't killed a wild/native trout in 25 years. :-D Actually, save for a few pompano last year, I haven't coolered a fish in long, long time. Not a tree hugger, just really not why I fish.
bman

Post by bman »

Looks like a fine day- I love fishing to the sound of rushing water.
I always feel like I can still hear it in my sleep that night.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
rrteam3

Post by rrteam3 »

Awesome photos, thanks for sharing! The colors of the brookies are still amazing no matter how many times you've seen them. Looks like you had a fabulous trip. I agree with a previous poster-the sound of falling water combined with the ice cold water makes those streams a true precious natural resource.