Engine # 3.....

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Engine # 3.....

Post by mjsigns »

The mystery of the seized up 70hp Evinrude is solved. AS a few of you already know, my (2nd) motor seized up on me back on July 4th and I had to be towed back to the ramp. http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpbb/vie ... wed#116620

The shade tree diagnosis… http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpbb/vie ... wed#116828 ,. I saved my nickels and dimes and finally took the boat to the shop last week.

The mechanic said the old motor is shot, and would cost more to fix than it would to just replace the whole engine with one he conveniently had on hand.

Here is what happened to the old motor. Apparently the motor had blown the head gasket (long before I owned it) and been rebuild once before, however, the mechanic failed to have the power head machined down to factory specks so the head gasket would seal properly. They figured a new head gasket was all that was needed. Here is the result:

Notice the break between cylinders 2 and 3…

Here is what is left of the cylinders… 2 and 3…

Pistons…

Here is the replacement… This will be the third motor I have had on this boat, and hopefully the last one for a long time…

The mechanic regularly serviced this engine, and it has no problems. He said the motor came from another 17’ boat owned by a fellow on Lake Talquin, and he has serviced this motor annually. It is a 1990 and is in great running condition.

Now the only problem is rounding up all the $,$$$.$$ to pay for the new motor and labor, and additional pars required, and I’ll be back in the saddle again. I just hope the third time will be the charm.

MJ
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
eat_mo_crawfish

Post by eat_mo_crawfish »

I was wondering where your boat was, good luck on the newest motor!!
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

I hope the charge doesn't require that many $ signs :o Check out http://www.nada.com

Good luck. :thumbup:
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Good luck with the new motor, and great pics (as usual :thumbup: ) on the motor problems. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Stay Thirsty My Friends
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

The $$$$ seems like allot of cash, but you have to remember, after a motor is older than 10 years, the NADA value is meaningless. There are a few things I feel real good about.. 1- I didn't have to change the motor myself, 2- I didn't have to do all the re-wiring, 3- I didn't have to completely flush the fuel tank and replace the fuel line from the tank to the motor.

I now have a motor that has a "clean mechanical history", so there should be no surprises. I love going fishing, watching the sun rise on the way out, taking my wife and kids fishing and swimming and creating memories that will last a lifetime. As long as I feel It's worth it, that makes me feel good.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Engine #1

Engine #2

Engine #3
Good Times

Post by Good Times »

I hope it has a lot of life left in it MJ. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Will_Fish_4_Food
Site Sponsor

Post by Will_Fish_4_Food »

10-4 on that MJ :thumbup: Just making sure.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Picked up the Boat Wednesday. Cranked up on the first turn of the key. Ran it for a while on the hose. Taking her out Saturday morning for a shake down run and might even scare up a fish or two. Put my tow insurance in force just in case... :-D :-D