Trout in the shadows of Hotlanta

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Soccerdad

Trout in the shadows of Hotlanta

Post by Soccerdad »

For years I have heard that the Chatahoochee is a quality trout stream above Atlanta .. from the (Buford) dam at Lake Lanier all the way down to Peachtree Creek in Atlanta.

This past weekend I tagged along with the wife when she had a school board function in a hotel at the junction of I-75 and I-285 (for those you you who know the area). Literally in the heart of suburban Atlanta. Turns out that the Paces Ferry entrance to the Chatahoochee National Wildlife Area was less than 2 miles from the hotel. It was like entering a different world .. and it is indeed a quality trout stream. Further upstream are naturally reproducing browns, but those of us wading the river at PF were catching stocked rainbows. Having never been there before, I took hip boots and UL spinning gear. Caught a nice (12 inch) rainbow on a single hook rooster tail. Next time I will take chest waders and a fly rod. I saw plenty of action with flies.

I was pleasantly surprised. I was at the very lower end of the NWA and folks tell me it's better further upstream, but we're only talking another 5 to 10 miles (at most) for other access points. Who'd a thunk it?
If there's no soccer (or fishing) in heaven - I'm not going!
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

Amazing what you can do with a little "Green Giant" and take the left over corn and put it in the hush puppies. :smt005
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?