How to fish a "Twitch" bait?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CSMarine
Site Sponsor

How to fish a "Twitch" bait?

Post by CSMarine »

A couple of years ago I started using twitch baits other than Mirror-Lures. I've never figured out the best retrieve I guess because I know people who uses them primarly for Trout and Reds. I have little luck with them. Every now and then I'll catch a fish with them, but not consistantly.
I would be interested in hearing ya'lls method for fishing baits such as the Red Fin, the Crystal Minnow, and other plugs of this type.
Semper Fi
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

I think the best thing is to vary your retrieve until something starts working. Generally I have the best luck by letting it sit still on top and then jerking it under, pause, let float back up. Sometimes a slow to medium, steady retrieve works.
Ken
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I feel there is no wrong or right way to work a bait. Ken has given good advice. I would ad that if what you're doing isn't working, do something else. Work it fast, work it slow, short jerks, long jerks, 1 twitch, multiple jerks. Every trip you have to discover the presentation the fish want that day. And that presentation might change multiple times during a days fishing. There ain't no wrong way.
What was I supposed to do today?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

(Reeling)1-2-3-4-5 Pause has worked for me, but I don't fish them enough to say it works alot :-?
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

Sometimes when you are Bass fishing with one you can work it pretty fast 5-6 feet and then just let it sit still for about a 30-60 seconds, then give it one tiny little twitch and a Bass will knock the fire out of it. That is COOL.
Ken
dowawoo

twitching

Post by dowawoo »

I use yozui twitch n minnows, red and yellow, floracarbon leader and when I reel in sort of a twitch and reel effect, warmer water, fast retreive, unless fish are hitting short, then sort of just tightin the line, and shake the rod tip, will cause the lure to kinda of dance, then back to the twitch n
Yesterday I caught trout up to 8lbs 2oz on the yozuri and day before that two nice ones over 5 lbs ea, and many of the smaller ones, it works, write me ,, will answer you
Don
dowawoo
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Make no mistake, jerk/twitch baits are reaction lures. I use the cast, pause, twitch twitch, pause, twitch pause, twitch twitch twich pause, method.

98% of the time the fish will hit on the pause, but you need to get their attention with an erratic action. Lost of times I see fish flash on a bait while it is stopped. Normally I will just barely move the bait and just make it shimmy in place and it will usually draw another strike.

I use this method with great success on topwater baits too.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Thanks to all. Tried most of the methods mentioned. Guess it's lack of confindance. Need to stay on it longer.
Semper Fi
captainspride
Site Sponsor

Post by captainspride »

my best results have come with 2 or 3 back and forth twitches and a 5 to 10 second pause.It's simlar to walking the dog type motion except with a shallow running lure instead of topwater. There's just something about the erratic motion then the pause just seems to send them over the edge.As with any lure the level of confidence you have seems to affect the results.
tight lines my friend CaptainsPride