Daiwa Capricorn - Preliminary field report

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ken K
Site Sponsor

Daiwa Capricorn - Preliminary field report

Post by Ken K »

Well, I got the new Daiwas today. I put one on a BPS Extreme 7' medium action rod and spooled it up with eight pound Ande. I fished with it for about an hour. As you would expect of a reel in this price range it felt good and worked as it should.

I got the 2500 size and it feels just right on my rod. I think this is the perfect size Bass or Trout reel. It has a little more line capacity and is a slightly heavier than a 2000 Stadic but is a good bit smaller than a 4000 Shimano.

Out of the box I would rate it and the Stradic equal in general smoothness. I think the bail on the Capricorn feels much more solid and precise than the Stradic. I will miss the Rosewood handle that the old Stradic had but I believe that they are no longer in use on the "new" model Stadic anyway.

Only time will tell if it is more or less durable than the Stradic. :D
Ken
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Ken, thanks for the report. I've gathered elsewhere that you can be pretty critical about equipment. Good. But even with that you don't sound like you came away from your field test real convinced. I'm sure it's a great reel and it may be splitting hairs between it and the new Stradic. I do think the re-design of the Stradic is pretty convincing. For those not familiar, there's an intersting review on tackletour.com
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
gatorsuf1

Post by gatorsuf1 »

I bought the Prodigy (same thing as Capricorn with a couple more bb) about 2 months ago. I am very happy with it so far. Not as smooth as it was out of the box, but it is fine. A good reel for bass/trout so far.
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

Two months later, I am sad to say that the Daiwas have failed to live up to my hopes. One of them has developed a lot of roughness, either in the main gear or roller bearing. I took it apart, cleaned and greased it, to no effect. There was no sign of corrosion. It has only been used in salt water twice and probably twice a week for short trips to my pond. Its twin is not as bad but I believe it is not far behind.

I'm going to need one of them next weekend. After that I will talk to BPS and see if they will exchange them for a Shimanos, if not I'm sending them back to Daiwa.

Very frustrating. :(
Ken
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Thats a pity Ken, but I agree with you proposed course of action.
Too many anglers just dispose of unsatisfactory equipment, rather than take it back to the retailer, or send it to the manufacturer.

All of my spinning reels are Shimano.
All of my bait casting reels are Abu (with the exception of my TLD30,s).

I don,t have reel problems. :D
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

An interesting update. I decided to take the reel apart, clean and grease it again. I was looking over the schematic to verify that everything was put back together properly and discovered that the reel had been assembled at the factory with a thin (.005") washer on the wrong side of the roller bearing. Put it back together and it works the same as its twin. Not as well as new but at least usable.

I know what your thinking, and yes, I put it back together exactly the way it was when I did it the first time. 8)

I still think they are going back to Daiwa with a sincere letter of complaint.
Ken
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

I think that very few of the "light" spinning reels, are suitable for frequent salt water use.
They were made for freshwater fishing and even with frequent cleaning and maintenace, they will degrade.
Thats when quality wins through.
IMO Shimano = quality.
lightchop

Post by lightchop »

:thumbup: :D
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Ken, How's the Capricorn? Did you send it back? If so, what was the reply? I'm wondering because I'm having some similar issues.
GoneGator
Site Sponsor

Post by GoneGator »

I agree that Shimono = quality, I have several and my baitrunners have been the best workhorse I have ever found. On advice from a friend, I recently bought two Okuma Fina reels the F120 and 40 and put them on 7' Diawa one piece inshore graphites. I have fished them several times and have been really impressed. The anti reverse is like none I have ever seen. I'll let you guys know in a few months how they are holding up.......
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

I sent an email to Daiwa and haven't heard back yet.
I would prefer to send them to the main factory service center rather than one of the regional repair facilities.

One of them has just developed some roughness that feels like it is in the gears. The other has that, plus something is binding/chafing somewhere. If you are reeling them without any resistance from the line they feel smooth. The resistance created from retrieving even a small lure causes the problems above.

I wish I could get my money back from Daiwa. I doubt that will happen. If they feel good when they get back from repairs I may Ebay them.

These reels have not been used over half a dozen times.

I was never happy with my "old model" Stradics but they sure beat the heck out of MY Capricorns.

BTW, Littoral, you got the Cabela's clone didn't you? You might have better luck getting your money back.
Ken
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Guess I'll stay with the Penn SS reels. I have a 4200, 4400, and a 5500. The smaller reels have been in use for four years and still in great shape. The 5500 is two years old and I'm having trouble with the bail. Had it worked on twice and still flips closed when you cast.
These reels are not as smooth as some, but they hold up to the torture of salt water use.
Semper Fi
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

CS, I had a Penn 6500, loved the reel but could not get used to the lack of instant anti reverse.

Just talked to the folks at Daiwa, nothing to do but send it back. I sure wish I could get my money back. If they replace or repair it to new, I have no confidence it won't be just as bad the next time.
Ken
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Ken, I'm sorry to hear about the Capricorn, especially since you did so much research on it. Have you seen the issue come up on other forums? I do have the 2500 Cabelas Prodigy, a Capricorn clone with a few differences. I have used my reel maybe 25 times and caught quite a few oversized fish on it. Last trip out I noticed some roughness in how it handles but I haven't worked on it yet. I don't want it to get worse. I bought it in a combo & Cabelas will only replace it, unless I return the rod as well. If I do that maybe I would go with a Stradic. I was a Penn SS fan but I don't like the graphite models and the drag is pretty much lame.
I agree with not having the confidence in the Capricorn but I'd send it back at least to have new ones. If you have to do it a few times maybe they'll work out the issue with newer models.
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Its very annoying, when you think what a large Company Daiwa are and how many reels they sell worldwide, you would think they could get the quality right.

I have often felt that the only "field testing" some Companies products get , are those carried out by the buying public. :-?
I have a friend who will never buy the Mark 1 version, he waits for the "kinks ironed out" Mark 2, to go on sale.

Stick with quality.......stick with Shimano.
Perhaps I could sell them the copyright to that slogan. :wink: