St. Marks 5/3

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tin can
Site Sponsor

St. Marks 5/3

Post by tin can »

Sir reel and I hit the water at 0730 this morning and headed west from the river. NOAA blew the forecast again. There was a 2 ft. chop in close, so we didn't run far.

It was one of those days for us. The bite was very light, not aggressive at all. It was also somewhat slow. I fished my usual chartreuse under a CT. Caught a few small fish early. After several small fish I finally boated a keeper. Then Bud (Sir Reel) commenced to put it on me. He boated 7 keepers before I finally boated another keeper. We struggled, but finally managed a limit of 10 keepers, with 2 or 3 more keepers being released after we limited.

It was overcast all day. The wind never layed. Bud did much better with Space Guppy than I did with chartreuse. I fished a straight grub for a while, and caught 1 pinfish. Everything came on a CT rig.

If you're ever privelaged enough to receive an invite to fish with Sir Reel, jump all over it. The man is a gentleman and a wonderful host. Today was one of the most pleasant days of fishing I've ever had.

Thanks, Bud.
What was I supposed to do today?
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

You stay with the chartruese no matter what, TC? :D
Ken
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Not always, Ken. I switch up to try to improve the bite. But most of the time I can catch as many on Chartreuse as any color.Yesterday, it didn't matter. I tried numerous colors, but Bud caught the better fish. Kinda like one of those days that your partner is tearing um up, and you can't get a bite. I got as many bites, and caught as many fish. He caught more keepers.
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

TC, that sounds like a good,but hard days fishing.
At least you finished up with a limit.

Its strange, how two people can be using identical tackle, rigs and bait, but one will do better than the other.
I,m pleased to be a lucky angler, beats being skilful, any day. :lol:
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

Nope, I never had a day like that. :wink:
Ken
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Cran, I've always said I'd rather be lucky than good. :wink:
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Greetings,

Well TC certainly wrote the story just like I put it together for him :wink:

Thanks for the kind words TC. Now as Paul Harvey would say..... here's the rest of the story (that TC didn't mention)

First time TC and I had fished together and I have to say he is without a doubt one of the finest partners any one could ask for in a boat. He backed the rig into the water while I unloaded, went and got the trailer and backed it in while I kept the boat just off the ramp and then drove it on. He kept me straight with some directions in an area where I wasn't that familar with and as far as me "put'n it on him" don't you folks believe that! Early on He was bringing ALL the fish on board and what he didn't tell you was that I was changing stuff and put'n every color in my box out in the water and couldn't buy a strike. TC's the one who figured out the bite and how to let the CT set for a while until the fish would come back and just slowly swim off with it. A very difficult bite to see with the heavy chop but TC knew what was happening and shared that. Yes, eventually the bite came to me and I had gone back to my favorite space guppy and stayed with it through most of the day. It was tough but we did catch some nice fish and had a great time. TC can come on board my boat anytime he would like. There is an open invitation. As a side thought.... Thanks to NFGFC for this forum. I'd have never had this opportunity. I also appreciate all you other folks for sharing all the experience and info that makes it to this disscussion group. You are great folks. Give your self a pat on the back. Thanks. :D
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Sounds like a fine time on the water.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

SR, from the sound ya'lls reports, I had a good time just reading them. Hope to try it this weekend.
Semper Fi