St. Marks 05-10-2003

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

St. Marks 05-10-2003

Post by Tom Keels »

Tin Can and I hit St. Marks at daylight. We went east and caught about 20 trout, with only 3 being shorts. Went looking for cobia and found more trout. Caught a 22, 24, and 25" on live pinfish drifted over a rockpile in 8 feet of water. All fish were released unharmed. Water was the clearest its been all year and the temp was 80-82°. Fun day.

Tom Keels
Site Founder

EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Nice trout. Doesn't look as rough as I thought it would be. I wound up dropping my boat into Lake Talquin so I could fix the trailer. No fishing.

Glad you guys did well.

Regards,

EJ
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

It was flat calm till 9 am, then it started out of the south about 10-15. It was pretty choppy coming in.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Nice job guys!

Those are some pretty trout. My wife and I also went out of St Marks on Saturday. We were on the water probably around 8:15. We however went West. Past lots of boats and started drifting by ourselves somewhere off of Patty's Island but probably a bit to the West of it. Conditions were really nice especially compared to the previous weekend. Water was definately clearer than last weekend. We caught lots of shorts and 6 nice keepers (mostly in 5-6' of water). The bite for us seemed to start around 10:30 but was very frustrating. We had several fish just simply hang on to the grub and swim around with it in their mouth without eating. Some of them came right up to the boat with it in their mouth and then just turned loose. I had one nice trout (est over 20") that broke my leader at the boat. I had caught a couple of cat fish and I could feel some rough places on the part I got back so it was my own fault for not checking it close enough. There was one other observation that I would like to get some feed back on. I purchased some colored fish bites at the recent FS show. It seems to me that the colored ones do NOT last as long as the plain, and I have seen no better results than with the plain as far as the bite. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any way... good Job to TK and TC. Wish I had gone East :-? But how many times have we said... I wish... when it comes to fish'n :D
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

If the Fishbites were the ones with sparkles, they are designed thinner to give them more action when fished by themselves. All of the other inshore products are made the same "they just add color to some". I am shure that Mr Mike could explain the differances a whole lot better than I can :lol: As for seeing any differance on my part, the only time I have seen had them not last as long is after I accidently allowed moister to get to them :( They do tend to soften up if they ever get wet once. But it sounds like ya'll had a good time all the same :thumbup:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good morning Wevans,

The colored ones I bought were not the ones with the sparkle. I ask about a "mixed" bag of all the colors and they fixed me up with an assortment bag. So I have the pinks, greens, and oranges. They sure seem to disolve and use up quicker than the plain. I thought maybe the addition of the color had some bearing on the mixture being softer or who knows..... maybe my mind going on me ... :o
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Good trip tom and TC. SR, we had the same experience this weekend with the soft bite. A good many fish we caught swam towards the boat after they picked up the bait. We really had to watch our lines close. Also these trout all had jumping fever. Almost all of them put on a great air show for us. Couldn't stop patting my foot and giggling.
Semper Fi