ECONFINA 5/14

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

southernundertaker

ECONFINA 5/14

Post by southernundertaker »

Hey everybody, southern undertaker here, got a good report for ya'll.

Took two friends out yesterday for their first try at flats fishing. Lets just say it is an experience i will never forget.

They had a blast, we got on the water at 7:45a. and it was gorgeous. Low tide was 7:30a. so we had a good incoming till about 1:45p. Headed straight out from the mouth into 6 - 8 foot of water and got into great fish.
The wind was out of the southeast at about 4 -5 knots so we just set up on a drift because the water is still stained.

when i finally made my first cast i landed a 20 incher and i knew it was on! we caught quality fish all mourning till about 11:30a. Caught two limits of trout smallest being 16.5, the rest was 19 and 20's with one 23 and one 22 only had 5 throw backs, also had 10 jack c. and 2 whopper rock bass one 13 in. Lost 4 nice trout at the boat one estimated around 25 -26 inches plus a 10lb. jack that nocked himself for a loop on the side of my boat, he came right out of the water head first and nailed it. ..

Everything was caught on jigs, slow, steady retrieve with a slight twitch right of the bottom. only caught one under a c/t. The flavor of the day was s/a seashad and opening night, i think both are new colors but don't quote me on that. Caught a few on the old standby electric chicken and candy corn.

After yesterday i think it is safe to say we have two new members to the sport.

Good luck, Keep' em biten boys. S/U :D
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Thanks for the report SU, I won't sleep a wink tonight :D , I'm headed down in the morning. Glad you had a blast, hope I can follow suit.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Great Report SU,

Sure feels good to have that kind of trip, especially when you've got folks with you who are new to the experience. Got a couple of questions for you, were you using 1/8 or 1/4 oz jig heads and did you tip the jigs with anything or fish'n em naked?

I was going out of the Econ pretty regular but gone out of Saint Marks the past two times. Although I've done pretty well, your report will probably be enough to get me back to the Econ again. Thanks for sharing your trip. :D
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Great report. Interesting about the CT. That's a change and I've read elsewhere that topwater caught trout this week end. If that's true it's a change as well. Any more reports on water color? Word is that Lanark is really clearing up.
Posting strategy is like pretending I'm there, but I'm stuck at work until ?? It's killing me.
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
southernundertaker

to tip or not to tip?

Post by southernundertaker »

Hey Sir Reel

The only head that i ever use is 1/4 chartreuse. Spent to much time trying to eek out of the river to stop for bait, so i jigged only. As for the cajun thunder, i am just as clueless as anyone on that :wink: . i usually don't leave home w/o 3 or 4 in the box. i guess that is why they call it fishin.

Does any body know the 411 on good reds down that way? :-? Good go for some good advice on the subject.

Good luck! Keep'em bitin....
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

The other color su was using was pt 2000. They are working great. Has anyone tried the 6" sa in glass minnow awesome looking plastic