Just Supposin.......

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Just Supposin.......

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Just supposin a fellow wanted to learn to tie flies, where would one start?? Where would he order the vise and fly tieing gear from? I know I would need a vise , loom, materials, hooks, twine, what else?? Ive been thinking about it to kind of ease the stress at night. I dont fly fish (yet) but I would like to learn to start experimenting with making some bugs. How bout it Chalk, BH, NFF or RS?? A little help in the right direction please!!! :beer:
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Re: Just Supposin.......

Post by jsuber »

THis is a local club and they have their meetings at Beef O Bradys too.

http://www.fbbflyfishers.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Thanks Sube, really just looking for some gear to get into the fly tieing.
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Flytyingfurom.com has alot of information....look for fly recipe's, buy the parts and start tying. Look on youtube as well alot of tying video's on there...As far as equipment the sky is the limit, you can spend $15 or $1,000 on a vice...$100 - $200 price range will get you one that will suit you well.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

BB...if you can find a "hobby" store, sometimes they will have a small "starter" set with everything in one box to get you going. If that doesn't work, Bass Pro has one specifically for "saltwater flies" fo $60. Cabela's has one as well but it's more money.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Im looking online at these sites and being a graduate of the short bus academy, I am having a hard time figuring them out. I really dont know what Im looking at but I hope to figure it out. Im guessing I would prefer a rotary vise that sits on a pedestal or base over one that clamps. I want it to be mobile. I also have looked at the kits but I can t find a saltwater kit. Any links you guys see would be appreciated. Thanks, BB

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Bass Pro has one specifically for "saltwater flies" fo $60.
:smt006 http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... id=PP_P1_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

buy a decent vise to begin with. Spend your money on good materials specifically made for salt water. Cheap materials will only frustrate you and make crap flies. once you get hooked, then spend the coin on a really good vise. $.02
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Decent vise and a good bobbin...Bad bobbin means lots of broken thread. Bad vise means lots of flying hooks. :thumbdown:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Eerman wrote:Decent vise and a good bobbin...Bad bobbin means lots of broken thread. Bad vise means lots of flying hooks. :thumbdown:
oh yeah forgot that. the bobbin that can with my elcheapo kit from cabelas was in the trash within a week. replaced with a griffin ceramic lined one.
VIVA la BT

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I got mine years ago from this little place called Herters. They used to sell a beginners kit for $25 that had everything you needed to get started. Last place I looked was Orvis. They are proud of their stuff. I think I'll look at the website above.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Thanks guys. i like that kit but i want a vise that sits flat or on a pedestal. I wonder if it can be modified??

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/gear ... agrip.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VIVA la BT

jmlockwood

Post by jmlockwood »

I have a Danvise that works pretty well. It is a light rotary vise and is priced less than $100. You can either clamp it to a table or the clamp comes off and the vise can be mounted in a pedestal.

As for kits, I would just buy one of the starter kits from Cabelas or BPS. You can tie a bunch of flies and replace whatever materials you use the most.
noleflyfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by noleflyfisher »

I'm probably the exception to the rule but I've been using an el cheapo vise for several years. I think I paid $50 or $60 for it. It came with a travel base and a typical C-clamp foot for affixing to tables and the like. Get yourself a good bobbin and a sharp precision pair of scissors.

Materials are what makes flies so that is where I spend my money and time. If possible, eyeball your materials (especially natural materials) before you buy. For natural materials I like marabou (blood quills), schlappen, bucktail, and rabbit (cross cut and magnum strips). For synthetics, I mainly use EP fibers and craft fur. You'll need lead eyes (x-small, small and medium) and flash (Flashabou or Krystal Flash). Finally, you may need some body material like Krystal Flash Chenille or EP Shrimp Dub Brush.

Not all threads are suitable for tying saltwater flies. Make sure you buy a strong thread that can handle a little tying pressure. I use Ultra GSP thread or Danville Flat Waxed Nylon.

Enjoy the addiction. :thumbup: