St. Teresa Beach 4-20-08

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Reel Addiction
Site Sponsor

St. Teresa Beach 4-20-08

Post by Reel Addiction »

Hello Fellow Fisherman, I have been big fan of this forum for a long time and can truly say that reading all the many posts, has made me a better fisherman. I never took the time to post my experiences as I just didn't feel worthy. After my experience this weekend, I felt compelled to share my story with all of you. (my first post)

After two lousy weekends, I had to get my fishing fix and Sunday was the day. I polled my friends and begged my boys but no one desired to join my 5:30AM departure. So, I loaded up my gear and my new waiters and headed to St. Teresa Beach. I was in the water and working up the flats as the sun was rising. The water was glass and the fish were popping the surface everywhere. I attached my favorite chug bug and went at it! After several blow ups that resulted in no fish, I decided to bounce a gulp off the bottom. Five minutes later the drag was screaming at it was on! After fighting the fish a little longer than needed, I netted a 20 inch red fish. On the stringer it went and I have blackened red fish for dinner. I continued to work it and 20 minutes later the drag was screaming again. This time I net a 20 inch trout. On the stringer it went and I am reviewing recipes in my mind. I fished for another hour and found the day care center for under sized trout, but I didn't mind because I have two large fish spending their morning swimming beside me. At this point I start to think about a possible "flats slam" and all the bragging I will be doing to my boys for not joining me. After several hours, the wind has picked up and I decide to work my way back to my car and fish the pot holes. After several cast, my rod bends and I am hooked up. I net the fish and I have done it! A 14 inch flounder is in the net. ( this is where my superior fishing skills kick in) Do you know why they put those metal needles on stringers? Do you know how difficult it can be to put fish on stringers that don't have metal feeder needles to push through fishes mouth? Well, I do now! I have my flounder secured safely in my net and I untie my stringer from my person. I start to push the needleless stringer tip through the flounder's mouth and he does not like it one bit. He decides to escape the confines of my net and makes a jump for it. Not wanting to lose my "flats slam" I quickly grab the sucker and restore order to the situation. In the process of the failed escape attempt, the needles stringer line becomes removed from the flounders mouth and when I attempt to grab it, Mr. Red Fish decides that he and his new best friend, Mr. Trout, take off. Did you notice I said his new best friend? Well that is because they will spend the rest of eternity swimming together on my stringer! I took some line from my reel and made a improvised stringer. I continued fishing in an effort to replace my escaped dinner, but managed one more flounder and called it a day. Can anybody guess what the first thing I purchased today?
GAJOEY
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Teresa Beach 4-20-08

Post by GAJOEY »

A new stringer ? Welcome to the board .there are a lot of good folks on here
Watch out for the one who brings a spoon to a knife fight..he is either really stupid or really good with a spoon. <')))><
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Welcome aboard, and thanks for sharing. Everyone on here has had experiences like that. Most people won't admit it. :thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Most folks wouldn't have told that story so thanks for the report. It's nice to know that we're all human.
Welcome aboard.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Welcome aboard!

Love to hear others tell their stories of woe...helps ease the pain for some of my own! :-D
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Ty one on

Post by Ty one on »

That was a fun report to read.

Be careful using those stringers........The sand sharks will leave you with only a head and gills. :o ......I know this to well.

Better luck on your next trip.
If we were all crazy, Wouldn't that make us all normal.
Good Times

Post by Good Times »

You were trolling for sharks. :wink:

Glad to have you on the on "board." Sorry to hear about the loss of fish. We actually have a new term coined by CaseyCook. I demonstrated it myself on my last trip as I "Mooked" a keeper trout over the side of the boat. :D

Glad you got your flounder!
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:( Sorry about those big fish making a run for it, they don't get big by being dumb. That story reminds me of my last trip out- fished 2 hrs. and no fish in the box. Finally got a good one coming in on my cork rig, the net is tied up with a #@%$& ladyfish on the floor, so what do I do? Horse the big trout over the side, he bumps the tacklebox laying on the back seat, then comes unhooked and sails over the other side into the water! But we did catch some more good-uns. And welcome to the forum. :smt004
Yours in the South
Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfish Jim »

Good fish story. Fun to read. Welcome to the forum. :thumbup: :beer:
Capt Reggie
Site Sponsor

Post by Capt Reggie »

:smt006 Welcome Reel Addiction! I really enjoyed your wade fishing report. Sorry for the two fish losses, though. :smt010 That area you were at is one of my good fly fishing spots to wade fish, but I have an idea for you to try out. May I suggest that you purchase and use one of those wade fishing floating fish basket devices (made with a styrofoam ring with a deep net attachment and fashions to your waist with a long cord)! :wink: It will float behind you while wade fishing and is not as likely to attract some big Bull shark that will take your fish, stringer, and you for a wild ride (or worse). :smt009 I think that device will help you from meeting up with the "Men In The Grey Suits". I know it will eliminate the lost fish problems you had with the fish stringer! :thumbup:
My hobby is Smart Outdoors, LLC.