St. Marks 6/4 - 6/8

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jumper

St. Marks 6/4 - 6/8

Post by jumper »

Well we made it down from Colorado hoping to do some fishing and we managed to bring the wind and rain along with us.

Still we were determined. We wanted badly to go offshore, but first the engine gods and then the wind gods were against us.

6/4
Got a decent start in the morning, but seas were pretty large. Set out the pinfish traps (by the way I need some help with these). Caught a couple on hook and line and headed out. Only to have my overheat alarm go off. We thought we had this fixed. Only goes off into a headwind in big seas. Following sea or smooth no problem. So we stopped in close on some public numbers and set about fishing. Ended up with a nice flounder, a shark and couple good fish lost.

6/5
Best weather day of the trip. Tried what Mercury suggested on the motors to no avail. Checked pinfish traps. Nothing (this is where I need help and yes I put bait in the traps.) Started offshore, overheat alarm, slightly irritated. Decided to fish in close again. Managed one keeper (just barely) gag. Nice day on the water though.

6/6
Weather not good, but decided today would be the day to figure the engine thing out. Tried what local Mercury dealer suggested. Made the engines get hot real fast. Decided to change everything in the motors that had anything to do with cooling. Headed out around 1:00 pm. Motors worked great. Weather sucked. Floated the flats as best you can in a 28' WA, but managed a few short trout, lady fish and sharks. Pinfish traps had nothing in them again. Maybe I am using the wrong bait or something.

6/7
Worst weather of the trip. Man was it blowing and raining. Decided to organize the boat. Best thing I did on the trip. No fishing, but the Corona was good while working on the boat.

6/8
Worst wind of the trip, but we headed out anyway. Beat the heck out of us so we stopped short again. Alot better fishing day. Caught one short Cobia 27" and then got a nice 37". Caught the Cobia on a piece of squid of all things. We had to live fish out. One flat and one down. Both hit at the same time. Flat line went to the bottom and wrap us on something. Down line broke the steel leader. Not cut, broke the leader.

Kept one shark and the Cobia. Lost alot of good fish and let some other border line ones go. No grouper, but probably in too close. Wind had to be 25+mph. Picked up pinfish traps, had one little seabass and the smallest trigger fish I have ever seen. No pinfish. Really need help.

Overall, had a good time because I was not at work and I was on the water. Really want to come down and have mother nature cooperate. Hope to be back for 4th of July to get some scallops and do some fishing.

Hope you guys keep tearing them up.
Fish till it hurts.

Jumper
"Trigger Happy"
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Good report jumper. Sorry the weather didn't work right for you. Long way to come to find bad weather all week. Maybe it'll be better in July. Water temp shouldn't be over 140 degrees or so for the scalloping. :wink:
Semper Fi
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Thanks for the report Jumper,

let me be the first to apologize for the weather. :roll: That certainly wasn't very hospitable of us to furnish that sort of stuff to a guest coming all the way from Colorado. :o The fact that you were able to get a handle on the "over heating" issue is a good thing. :wink: The fact that you now have your boat "organized" is a good thing. :wink: The fact that your coming back is a good thing! :D

As far as the pin fish trap, I'm probably not the one who will give you the best advise, but I'm sure it will hit this post sooner or later. If it were me and I didn't have a spot, I guess I would drift the grass/flats/etc. until I picked up some pin's with rod and line. Then I would set the traps in those locations. Other than that..... I'd blame it on the weather! :D Thanks again for sharing your experience.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

First questions about the traps. What was the bait? Did you put the bait holder door towards the bottom? Did you put the traps on the grassflats?

Sorry the weather has been crappy the last couple of time you've been down. Glad you got a few fish though.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

Jumper, glad you made it down. I too apologize for the weather, it was nasty, but I am sure you will be back.

I have not used a pinfish trap, but a little hook with a tiny (1/3 of a fingernail) size bait has always gotten me a pin every 90 seconds or so. Just put it under a bobber so that you can adjust the depth to just above the top of the grass. I have had better luck catching pins in grassy areas where you would expect trout as opposed to rocks/jetties. Just me I guess.

I will be anxious to learn other folks experiences with the pin trap.

140 degree water temp. good one(no lie) CS.
for petes sake
pops
Site Sponsor

Post by pops »

got 2 new pin fish traps to set out this weekend, will let you know what luck i have with them
:D
GO GATORS!!
If it does not meet your standards, Lower your standards!!
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Pops, is there somewhere in Monticello to buy traps? If you don't mind me asking, how much did you have to pay for them?
Semper Fi
jumper

Post by jumper »

OK, so the bait door and way to get the fish out is supposed to go down? That could be my problem. Funny the wife and I were discussing that on our way in the last day. I did make sure that we were catching pins before putting traps out.

Bait - chopped up spanish sardines. Is this ok?

I will post pictures of the Cobia soon.

140 degree water - Hmmm I am diving a spearfishing tourney in Utah Saturday with water temp of 55- 60 degrees. That 140 sounds good. :lol:
Fish till it hurts.

Jumper
"Trigger Happy"
pops
Site Sponsor

Post by pops »

CS
Mine come from RMS in Medart cost 21.95
Wilsons in Perry also has them cost 26.00
GO GATORS!!
If it does not meet your standards, Lower your standards!!
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Thanks pops.
Ya'll I was a little carried away with the 140 degree water temp. I've never seen it get much over 138 degrees in July. :wink: What do you spear in that cool of water?
Been to Salt Lake city once, chasing after a little Mormon girl. That was a few years ago. (33 years ago to be exact.)
Semper Fi
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Yep, that's your problem. If you leave it up the fish can eat the bait from the outside and not have to swim into the trap.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

jumper

Post by jumper »

CS - We will be spearing walleye, bass, carp and just about anything that swims by :lol: . You can only spear two game fish and as many of the others as you want.

TK - So I'm an idiot. :oops: Maybe I will do better next time. Also the entrys to the trap seem really tight. Should I open them some. It seems that it will take really small pins to be able to fit in there. Who would of thought I needed instructions to use a pinfish trap.
Fish till it hurts.

Jumper
"Trigger Happy"
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Say Jumper,

I was reading up on some info regarding setting pin fish traps and one point they made (in addition to what Tom has pointed out) is that they recommend that the trap be positioned with the long measurement in the same direction of the current flow. This will allow the fish to swim into the trap much easier than if it is positioned cross ways where the fish would have to be sideways to the current. Also, if the current is strong they recommend a weight in the bottom of the trap. I know you mentioned spanish sardines and they are oily. The info I found said canned sardines should be OK for bait as well... they recommend punch'n holes in the can and just put the whole thing in the bait holder. They also mentioned taking a 35MM film canister, filling it with cotton, and soaking it in fish oil. Take a hole punch and putting a hole in the lid. I like the idea but I think I'd look for a bigger container than that. Hope all this helps you and the other folks. Pop... good luck with yours.
jumper

Post by jumper »

CS,

Seems like if it were too big it would take up all the room in the baitholder. Although I do believe I will try.

TK - What do you use for bait?
Fish till it hurts.

Jumper
"Trigger Happy"
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Cut Lys or Frozen Sqid.
Tom Keels
Site Founder