New Reel?

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

whitebc
Site Sponsor

New Reel?

Post by whitebc »

I have an Orvis Clearwater 8.5', 3 1/4oz, 5wt, will this rod work for Reds? If so I need to get a new reel for it. I like to do a little fly fishing on the river for bream and bass and would like to try it on the flats, is there a reel that will work for both? Dont want anything too awful expensive but not cheap, quality wise, either. Any suggestions?
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.
ced0412

Re: New Reel?

Post by ced0412 »

Will it work? Sure, on a perfect day with a small unweighted fly, making short casts.

I think I see a perfect day like once a season, if you really want to flyfish in salt you need to be able to fish in wind, and a 8 1/2 ft 5 wt is going to cause you utter frustration. Im not familiar with Orvis rods, but Im assuming that is a slow or moderate action rod as well, which will not handle wind and wet flies as well. I would really recommend finding a decent used 8wt outfit and see if you enjoy it, soon as your hooked and your casting skill increases you will upgrade your gear.

As for a reel - I've always been a believer in "You get what you pay for..." especially in saltwater. I suppose if your just trying it out and not going to be doing it most of the time, a budget reel will work. Just have at least 100 yrds of backing. Most of us probably have 200 just incase, but its rare you hook a fish that can peel that before you can follow. I really dont have any recommendations on budget reels, I think Ross has some that dont use roller bearings, but I dont know the price.
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Re: New Reel?

Post by whitebc »

Preciate it ced, :thumbup: I bought the rod to go to NC and Maine with about 10+ years ago, just figured I would give it a try but sounds like maybe later. :D
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.