Tournament Day "Perfect Storm"

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Tournament Day "Perfect Storm"

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Began the day at 4 am and met CT at the cabin. Hauled it to Jerrys and got the business out of the way. Got sown to Cbelle and saw the Bass Boys and CC and KVD Jr. On the water and fishing by 6:30 or so. Began topwater and after several short trout, My topwater plug is involved in a saltwater explosion. My bait was in about 10-12 inches of water and I have never seen a strike that vicious. It actually looked like someone threw a cherry bomb in the water. Water splashed several feet in the air and pig red was on. Pic to come later. Red was a little over 6 lbs and we were excited because we thought we would be in the running on the redfish pot. Thanks Mr Trent and Mr Collins for busting that up!! Fished on down and our bite was slow. Ct decides to get up on the poling platform and I see a vivid image of a 220lb yard dart head first in the water. I had the camera ready if he did, but he was steady and got down a couple of minutes later without incident. Headed to Spot number two and Ct lands a nice red. Limit of reds so we are off to try and catch our trout since we couldnt find the big trout we were looking for in close. Headed to spot number three and caught a couple more shorts. Same for the next couple of spots. On to the old stand by. Limit in about thirty minutes. All trout were between 17 and 19 inches and weighed right at nine pounds on the boga. Really needed that Big trout. Watched a fierce looking storm about ten miles west head up and onto the mainland. Kept focusing on the bar we were fishing and noticed a storm coming in off the gulf. I tell Heath we better pull as we begin to feel the air temp drop about twenty degrees. I look up and the storm off the gulf is bearing down on us. I tell Heath to lock it down and lets roll. Its about 1:00. I spin the boat around and the storm that went on land has done a 180 and is now covering C'belle where my truck is. I look back at the island and the other storm is slinging lightning bolts like sweat off a fatboys forehead. I tell Heath we cant go east and we can t go west. I try and stay calm and scan the shoreline of the island looking for cover. We see a boat shed at the end of a 200 ft long dock. By the time we get the Maverick into the boat house, were in 4 ft seas in two foot of water. We attempt to tie the boat off but the waves are crashing over the dock around the perimeter of the boat shed. The dock was four to five feet over my deck of the Maverick. We stayed under that shed for over an hour as the two storms proceeded to meet and clash over our heads. Thats the roughest time Ive ever had on the water. Once it was over we gave it a while for the seas to calm down and hauled it to Cbelle to try and make weighin. Got there late but got there non the less. Glad to be alive after that ordeal. Good day on the water other than the storm, CT. :thumbup: :beer:
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
birddog
Site Sponsor

Re: Tournament Day "Perfect Storm"

Post by birddog »

Dammit man. Glad ya'll are still with us. :beer:
GULP! free since 1970.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

And since the teller of this story is not an actor, GEICO has assigned an actor....go ahead Will Ferrel, tell their story :smt005

Glad ya'll are okay. It is better to stay alive than to arrive on time to the weigh in. The weigh in's shouldn't be in Tallahassee IMHO.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

We spent the better part of the day talking about you Bad Behavior. We came up with some pretty funny commercials for your store but don't think any of them will air.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

MD, we had people fishing their ramps of choice from Keaton to Carrabelle.
Where would the best weigh in spot be?
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
caseycook

Post by caseycook »

The weather was indeed a little scary out there Saturday afternoon...glad you guys got home safely.
Boom goes the dynamite.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Scary times! Glad you guys OK!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

We experienced the same thing Saturday around 2pm at Lanark tarpon fishing. When we headed in, it was 3-4's at the reef and was the roughest i've had my 22 bay boa in yet.. not a fun situation. Glad ya'll made it back in!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Jumptrout51 wrote:MD, we had people fishing their ramps of choice from Keaton to Carrabelle.
Where would the best weigh in spot be?
I don't know the answer other than when I've mapped it in the past, for me to come to Tallahassee and then fish costs me at least an hour of extra drive time each way, unless I was to fish St. Marks. Also, when I go fishing, I usually like to spend the night after fishing on the coast rather than riding all the way back to civilization. My only thought is maybe an area is decided for each tournament such as the "Aucilla to Steinhatchee Area with Perry being the place and then maybe a St. Marks to Cape San Blas with Panacea being the place. That being said, I am probably the furthest away, so I don't expect it to be changed for me.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Thanks for the concerns guys. We called three people to let everyone know where we were in case something happened and we didnt get in. We talked more about it today and we really were fortunate to get back on the boat and not in a box smelling like electrocuted fat heads. Folks, listen to Ol' BB, you se the storm , dont try it, fish another day!!!
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

BB, glad you made it through the storm. I had planned to come to fish the tournament and join the club Saturday but I changed my mind after watching the weather. It is a long haul from Sylvester to turn around and come back.
Team Jolly Mon
Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

I have learned that lesson, small boats and stormy weather don't mix. It isn't worth it because you can get in a situation that you can't do much about. Wearing life jackets is another safety precaution that I bet most folks don't do either. If I see clouds in the sky I put mine on.
GEAUX TIGERS!
Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

I have learned that lesson, small boats and stormy weather don't mix. It isn't worth it because you can get in a situation that you can't do much about. Wearing life jackets is another safety precaution that I bet most folks don't do either. If I see clouds in the sky I put mine on.
GEAUX TIGERS!
Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

GEAUX TIGERS!
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Natureboy, I get your point!!!! :smt005

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR