SS vs Aluminum?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

whitebc
Site Sponsor

SS vs Aluminum?

Post by whitebc »

Since I ripped off my skeg this weekend I have been thinking(scary I know :-D ) of switching to aluminum. Everyone I talk to says to do it cause it wont tear up as much when you hit something.
1) Someone once told me that a SS prop would cut the grass better than Aluminum... Any truth to this?
2) What is the advantage of SS over Aluminum?

One more question...

Porter rock guard?
3) What would have been the difference if I would have hit a rock running 25mph with one of these as opposed to not having one?
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Re: SS vs Aluminum?

Post by birddog »

1. you shouldn't be cutting the grass
2. You get better performance with SS
3. You still would have damaged the skeg at that speed with the skegguard.

This issues' been beat to death. Do a topic search. There will be a wealth of info on the site about skegs, skegguards, alum. and SS props.
GULP! free since 1970.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I can answer 3. Porter rock guards are made so you don't tear something up if you hit it at idle or a little faster. Nothing is going to protect you from a 25mph hit.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

thanks bd & tk
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

I agree with Tom. As I mentioned, I have been through numerous props and lower units. Whether it be aluminum or SS if you hit a rock at 25mph you will bend the shaft ($1500-$2000). Grass shouldn't be an issue due to the horse power of your motor. The real issue is whether you want to spend $400 to $500 on a SS vs. $115 to $150 on the aluminum. That is what has kept me sticking with the softer metal.
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

Me like SS, me go to Gator Prop in Perry to get it fixed when me do stupid. Me got careful after 1st lower unit boo boo cost me $600.00. Me no run in places prop would cut grass bad mojo. Me like fish around Oyster Bars. Me hit same dang rock in mouth of Spring Warrior that got another forum members lower unit more than once. Me have fiberglass repairs done because me had hole in boat on that rock two times. Me wonder why you haul azzzzzzz in "The Danger Zone?"

Me think you got big wallet you want to buy a bridge in N.Y.?
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

What a mess wrote:... Me wonder why you haul azzzzzzz in "The Danger Zone?"
Me think you got big wallet you want to buy a bridge in N.Y.?

:smt005 :lol: :smt005
Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

Me can't run in less than 3 feet of water so I stick with stainlesss. Even on my little Mako I run a stainless. If you are going to hit omething, you are going to have damage. My buddy hit an oyster bar with his 15hp with an aluminum prop and it still bent his prop shaft. I like stainless. Just go back with what you had and be CAREFUL cuz!
GEAUX TIGERS!
CROCKER

Post by CROCKER »

I HAVE RAN BOTH ON MY 150 MERC. FOR THE FIRST THREE YEARS I RAN ALUMINUM THINKING I WOULD BREAK THE PROP BEFORE ANY SERIUOS DAMAGE TO THE FOOT. I TOOL AROUND ALOT IN VERY SHALLOW WATER, I HIT AND SCRAPE ROCKS ALL THE TIME IT COMES WITH THE TERRITORY. I HAVE BUSTED MY FOOT TRAVELING LESS THAN 25 mph. IN THOSE THREE YEARS I WENT THROUGH 3 ALUMINUM PROPS AT $225 EACH.

I AM NOW ON MY 4TH YEAR WITH THE SAME SS PROP. I STILL HIT AND SCRAPE THE SAME ROCKS AND ETC. THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE IS THAT I AM NOT BUYING A NEW PROP EVERY TIME I SCRATCH A ROCK.

I
yellow dog

Post by yellow dog »

has anybody tried those pirahina props. u r supose to be able to rebuild it in the water in 15 minutes and only cost like 20 bucks to rebuild
the road goes on forever and the party never ends
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I have wondered a lot about this topic. I have a stainless prop now and it is nice when you just "graze" a rock. But I have also bent my prop shaft when I hit a rock with an aluminum prop. The prop wasn't that damaged, but the shaft had to be repaired. I don't know what the right answer is.
Team Jolly Mon
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Go carefully where there are rocks. Have Progressive on yo' backside. A good trolling motor with plenty of juice. Sea tow and a marine radio.

Then go fish and have some fun! :-D
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

Got Progressive(thank God :-D ) and a radio, still waiting on the trolling motor to get done :-?
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

In the long run SS is the best buy for your money. The problem a lot of folks have is forking out the money with the initial purchase for SS. If you're going to scrape the bottom (going slow) you will ding and bend Al. but not SS. Years ago I used to have my Al. props rebuilt, which was a lot than buying a new one every year but I've forgotton who did them. Good luck!
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
KarstRanger
Site Sponsor

Post by KarstRanger »

I agree that you get better performance with a SS prop, but for the types of fishing I do -- freshwater bass fishing and inshore salt -- I am still firmly in the aluminum camp. I would have hated to have this happen with a SS prop.

Here is what a rock (or whatever) did to my aluminum prop at about 10 mph. This is a 100hp Merc on a 19ft. Carolina Skiff. No damage other than $89 for another aluminum prop I bought on the internet. I keep the SS prop it came with for an emergency on-board spare.

[as dropship enters atmosphere] "We're in the pipe, five by five."