Scalloping Over the Long Weekend

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jumper

Scalloping Over the Long Weekend

Post by jumper »

Made it down from Colorado for the long weekend.

4th - Bad weather even worse scalloping. Two found. Stayed between the St. Marks and Aucilla. Water was dark. It was wet and cold.

5th - Great day on the water. Ran all the way to Keaton Beach. About 35 Miles one way. Water was smooth and clear in Keaton. Got limit on two boats in about 1.5 hours. The scallops are just NW of the channel. Go get em.

6th - Decided to go offshore. Wrong. Two kids sick before found the first spot decided to head in and call it a weekend.

Back in Colorado now. Hope you guys get some fishing in soon.

Does the weather ever stay good down there?
Fish till it hurts.

Jumper
"Trigger Happy"
pjones

Post by pjones »

thanks for the report. you have to dodge the weather. nice to know there are still scallops at keaton. i thought it would still be good since there is not a river right there. they seem to always be good just outside the channel in front of keaton. what was the water color??

pj
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Seems you're destined to hit the bad weather around here, Jumper. I'm beginning to think it's not possible for you to go off shore without someone getting sick. :wink:

Keep trying. Maybe one day you'll hit on one of the four or five good weather days we have each year. :D

Say hello to your wife for me.

John
What was I supposed to do today?
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Thanks for the report Jumper.

Even though you found the weather less than perfect, judging from your report, you did better than some of us who stay around here all year :lol:

Questions:

1. Where did you stay while you were down here

2. What type of boat and power did you have when you made the run to Keaton?

3. How fast could you run?

4. How long did it take to make the run?
jumper

Post by jumper »

OK, I will try and answer all of the questions.

pjones

Water Temp - 82 Degrees down at Keaton
Water Clarity - Fantastic

Sir Reel

I stayed in Tallahassee at the Comfort Suites

We took two boats. Mine is a Wellcraft 270 Coastal w/ twin 200 Mercs, my dads is a F19 Sundance Skiff w/ a 90 Merc.

We ran over to Keaton at about 25 Knots or about 29 MPH. Both boats could go faster, but this was a comfortable speed. We had to fuel dads boat up in Keaton to get back.

We made the run home in about 1.5 hours from Marina to Marina. We cleaned all of the scallops on the way home. By the way that is a tough marina to get fuel at with a boat the size of mine. Very tight space with alot of boat traffic.

You guys should make the run sometime. It seems to be about the same time as towing a boat over, but you dont have to deal with the crowded ramps.
Fish till it hurts.

Jumper
"Trigger Happy"
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Thanks Jumper :thumbup: :thumbup:

Appreciate the attention to my questions. Great information. :D