Reels...

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Joshjack84

Reels...

Post by Joshjack84 »

What do you guys put on your reels after using them in the saltwater? I want to prevent these from corroding if all possible. (Currently been rinsing them down with fresh water.)
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Reels...

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

WASH THE REELS OFF WITH SHOWER FRESH WATER, DO NOT SUMMERGE, SPRAY W/D -40 ON THE WORMS AND PAULS, THIS HAS KEPT MY REELS GREAT CONDITION FOR THE LAST 30 YRS.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA :smt006 :smt006 :smt006
FUTCHCAIRO
cmccord
Site Sponsor

Post by cmccord »

What PA said. Works well. El Cheapo reels will still corrode and gum up even with treatment, but the higher quality materials respond well to this treatment. :thumbup:
"You cannot change the wind, you can only adjust your sails." Del Suggs
grim reeler

Post by grim reeler »

Fresh water hose down.
BayGator

Post by BayGator »

I saw a guy spray furniture polish on his on a tv show the other day after he had washed and dried with fresh water.
Bow'd Up

Post by Bow'd Up »

Fresh water hose down has worked for me. Several of my Okuma Aluminas and Shimanos have been getting this treatment for the last 4 years.....not a days trouble out of them :thumbup: :thumbup:
Nathan
Site Sponsor

Post by Nathan »

Rods/Reels get a freshwater misting after every saltwater trip. Once a month or so I wipe down the rods and the external reel surfaces with a lemon pledge wipe. I used to spray everything down with a can of Lemon Pledge and then go back and wipe with a rag, but have found the wipes to work better.

Nathan
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I generally stop at a car wash on the way home after a trip in saltwater. I will just spray 'em down while I am there. So far so good. I have done that for many years. I have never had a problem with my Stradics.
Team Jolly Mon
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

I spray them down with freshwater, then after they dry, I put Abu Garcia reel oil on them.
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

In the shower for about thirty minutes, I was told the car wash pushes stuff into the greese.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?