Fishing with a Mirrolure 52mr

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

carramar
Site Sponsor

Fishing with a Mirrolure 52mr

Post by carramar »

Last Tuesday was the first day the floating grass would let you fish with a 52MR.How do you fish one over grass? I caught a few fish on it but got a lot more trout strikes that I didn't hook that ones I did hook. :smt011 And the ones I hooked were all hooked with 2 or 3 trebles. Trying to release a fish usually took more of my blood than the trouts :smt011 How long do you let the bait sink and what kind of retrieve do you use? Tips on better hookup ratios? How do you release without bleeding to death? Please take me to Mirrolure school. :roll:
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Fishing with a Mirrolure 52mr

Post by Jumptrout51 »

If you are catching trout the way you are fishing...keep fishing that way.
Use pliers and a damp rag to de-hook.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Jumptrout51 wrote:If you are catching trout the way you are fishing...keep fishing that way.

Yep. I've always heard to let it tick the top of the grass, like a spoon, so I guess it'll depend on the water depth.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Here ya go.
This is as good as it gets.

Plugging with a 51 caliber – The Hard Hitting MirrOLure
by McTrout
A serious hunter needs a serious weapon, and the 51 series MirrOLure should be standard gear for those stalking larger specks this time of year. It’s been taking solid fish for over fifty years, and that should be a pretty good clue. It’s the right size, the right shape, and it can certainly be had in the ‘right’ color, but that’s where all the ‘gimmes’ stop. It’s only going to be as good as the ‘hunter’ behind it because it has no built-in action, so it’s up to us to really make it work. Space is limited here, so I’ll just outline a few things that have worked for me to help make it one of my all time top producers for heavier fish.
The Selection: Unless you’re connected to the Psychic Hotline, the fish (or a friend with his waders still wet) are just going to have to tell you what they want in your area. The whole color thing is really just too big to get into here, so I’ll just mention a couple that I’ve gained a lot of confidence in. The CHG catches fish for me in almost everything from air clear water to near mud, and it’s probably my first option. A real close second is the 804. In average water conditions, they will usually hit one of these or the other if I make my presentations right. However, in super clear water, the more natural colors like the 18 & 19 may get the nod. Whatever you decide to use, just be sure & buy those with the 'MR' designation. (R for RATTLE, a confidence building must for the fisherman if not for the fish.) Shake them in the rack before you buy them also, as some are definitely louder than others.
The Connection: Commonly seen among new enthusiast is a brand new shiny snap swivel sticking out of a MirrOLure’s nose. There may be places for that, but NOT HERE! Any additional weight can easily ruin balance and swimming properties. The only connection is to tie straight on, and the best method by far is a good loop knot. That frees the plug up to dance that 'eat me dance’, giving it every opportunity to perform.
The Retrieves: There are absolutely no rules here except the ones made up by the fish, which can change by the hour, but here's a few ideas that will work in the right circumstances. First off, watch the bait! Running the plug near the same depth the bait is hanging is always a good place to start. When you’re bringing back mullet scales on the hooks, you know you’re right in there!
Slow & Low is the classic method during the colder days, just a simple steady retrieve with a few subtle twitches thrown in for good rattling measure. I've seen many days, especially on inactive fish, where if you weren't clicking that shell on the bottom you just flat missed 'em. It’s also a good way to land a trophy flounder to boot!
Messing About in the Middle of the water column is a good starting point when we're not sure what mood the fish are in, and working all of it can often find a solution. Letting it sink to near the bottom, pulling it up high with short twitches, and then letting it sink back down again can cover a lot of water in just one cast. The key is to try & remember where it was when it drew first blood, and then put it right back in there again!
Flying it High is supposedly taboo during the colder months, but don't ever discount a winter trout's eagerness to chase down a bait, especially during warming trends. Different weather conditions can cause many reactions, but unless the water temperature has recently undergone a major drop, those fish are pretty well acclimated to the conditions and aren't nearly as sluggish as some might suggest. Ripping it high it the water, especially waist deep or less, can and does cause feeding reactions. Again, look where the natural bait is, and if it's all bunched up near the surface, you can bet that the trout are keeping a watchful eye out for a mullet to get stupid. ‘Walk’ it just underneath the normal food source with short twitches and see what happens!

The Takeaway Teaser is one that can make a trout's cold blood boil, and can often make that otherwise lazy predator come alive and do what predators do… Kill Things!! Rip it hard, stop for some good long pauses, then rip it again, repeating as necessary. Just cranking the handle hard for a few turns and then stopping works well. Again, don't underestimate a trout's instinctive response, even in colder water. There's been many times when this technique has saved the day for me, even in Jan-Feb. It’s almost shocking to see how hard this bait can get hit! The bottom line on retrieves is that’s it up to us try different things and to never get hung up on what worked last week.
Here’s a few other miscellaneous tips: If there’s tidal movement in your area, fish it with the current. Throw it at a 45 degree angle up current and let it go with the flow. Change the hooks out to #4 VMC conecuts and you’ll start catching fish you missed… (in the top of the head, tail, gill plates, etc,.) It sinks at 1’ per second, perfect for counting it down a preferred depth. Try wading deep and throwing it back shallow over structure. Target the streaky water, and always try the windy side a reef or bar first! Trout usually don’t swim alone, so don’t leave fish to find fish! When the plugs start to lose their gloss, run them through the dishwasher for some amazing results.
Fifty years worth of salty pluggers can’t be all wrong, so throw it with confidence and it’ll work for you too! Now let's go get 'em, & Happy Hunting!
Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

I haven't found any good way to fish plugs with floating grass around, so maybe someone else can weigh in. As for mirrorlures, I have always fished them no more than a foot deep, with 2-3 foot sweeps and then reel. My favorite similar lure is the old heddon vamp spook with no lip.... call me old fashioned.
"O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you." Psalm 84:12
carramar
Site Sponsor

Post by carramar »

Thanks for all the replies! Lots of useful info on this forum. :D
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

I usually use that in 6 feet of water or deeper. They are great for trolling for trout too.
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

What's the difference between the 51 and 52MR?
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Go to their website and find out.
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

Actually I did, but couldn't readily find it. I ordered their catalog though. Lots of new lure selections from them. Thanks
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

The difference between a 51MR and a 52MR is the 51 is used in 1-4 feet of water and the 52 is used in 3-8 feet of water.

MirrOlure® Classic 52M Series
These legends have been producing trophy fish for decades. Their life-like appearance, “built-in” flash and 3-D fiery red eyes are irresistible to all game fish.

The 51MR, 52M and 52MR sink at a rate of one foot per second.
We recommend using the 51MR series when fishing shallows (three feet or less) because the line attachment is in the lure’s nose. Great wading lure!

Model Length Oz. Hooks Depth

51MR 3-5/8” 1/2 3 1-4'+

52M 3-5/8” 1/2 3 3-8'+

52MR 3-5/8” 1/2 3 3-8'+

Mirrolure Website
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

Thanks for the info. I couldn't locate it on the website. Lots of variety in types and colors.
shorethangcharters

Post by shorethangcharters »

I tie a loop knot and real it straight in. No jigging popping or anything. Shallower waters you have to go to a 7m or a 51m to keep it out of the grass. Same knot same way to work it. If you like top water I suggest the 5m11 or 26. To work it LEAVE THE FRONT SPINNER ON. It was designed like this for a reason and has been proven over decades of prop baits. You have to use at least a 20# leader on this lure or it will get looped around the front spinner, (Thats why I think people started taking it off). Tie a fishermans knot to it and use a stiff rod. Work it like a pop bait. POP 1-2-3 Pop. Watch it and set the hook on the strike. Don't wait to feel the bite you won't or by then its to late. To get them off its simple. I never touch the fish unless he is completely worn out or a big one. I grab the hooks by a pair of pliers hold it in the air and the fish shakes the hook. That many hooks if you grab the fish odds are you will get hooked yourself. Its not fun to have a lure in your hand and the other end in a green trouts mouth. Thats how I do it on my charters and it works great in St Joe, Apalachicola, and East Bay. Everywhere is different.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Thanks everyone for sharing what you know about fishing MirrOlures. That was some good advice!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
BrogensDuck

Post by BrogensDuck »

If you are missing a lot of strikes (we all do...so you are not out of the norm) you might also look at the line/leader you are using. No-stretch braid is great for the action of the lure (when paired appropriately with the stiffness of the rod), but can also lead to more misses and torn mouths. Some guides dont like using braids under these circumstances for that (and other reasons). I am FAARRRR from a guide, so this might be obvious, but I thought I would chime in as no one else has talked about the effect line can have on strike/hookup ratio.

Also, in terms of the grass...the episode of Flats Class talked about it specifically this week. Their words of advice: drop-shot plastics (avoid the grass altogether).