St. Marks 8-29-03

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CSMarine
Site Sponsor

St. Marks 8-29-03

Post by CSMarine »

Been waiting for Capt. SeaNile to report on our trip last Friday. Maybe it was just so small I missed it. :lol: Started out to be an "Offshore Report" ended up having to report it in "Inshore Report" or maybe "Onshore Report" :o
SeaNile, Chalk, light chop, and myself headed out the St. Marks river on the USS SeaNile, with great expectations of a Grouper for supper. Those quickly ended before we reached the mouth of the river as we faced a wall of black on the horizon and a dozen boats running for their lives, past us, towards the dock. We quickly re-grouped and advanced to the rear. A wise choice to postpone was made by the Captain and crew.
Chalk and I drove over to Perry to Marine Liquidators to buy Starboard and other assorted dodads for Chalks boat he's building. Had a good Florida seafood dinner (fish sandwich at Burger King) So the day turned out pretty good. 8)
Semper Fi
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Marine Liquidators - is the place to go for your boating needs....I got a stainless fuel filler for $20 bucks, checked West and I saved about $8.00.....CSMarine forgot to mention we did go fishing.....We were feeding the pinfish and ladyfish squid off a wooden bridge over towards Yates creek and we were feeding them yellow flies as well :lol: :lol:
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Chalk was feeding the yellow flys mostly. He had shorts on. I had long bretches on thank goodness. They were pretty fierce as always at Yates. The lady fish were fun in 1 foot of water in a creek 10 foot wide. They'll jump anyway like they were on the flats. :lol:
Chalk did find some new white water to try out his Kayak on, when he gets it. :o
Semper Fi
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Next time ya'll need ta go to Hickory Mound and fish the banks and canals there :D We have caught our lmit of Reds in less than 10 minutes there when things is right :wink: some nice Trout in the Winter also :thumbup:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Do they make a can of OFF that big Wevans :o :lol: ...Them black biting flies down there are vicious :(
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I never said that it would be a pleasent experiance :o just that ya could catch REAL fish :wink: :lol:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Chalk, the horse flies, and nats, are much worse at Hickory Mound. :o Need to carry a 2X4 to beat them off. But the bank fishing is better. 8)
Semper Fi
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

I'll just take you (bait) :lol:
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Them thangs won't bother me, they know me. Now the other race that don't like us much, gets real thick down there on the weekends. :evil: They can be very rude to folks like you and me sometimes. They jumped on my wife and sister-in-law once there. Bad mistake on their part. My wife's a black belt in martial arts. :lol: Can't carry a gun down there, so if you want to carry a lethal weapon for protection, you'll have to bring me. :wink:
Semper Fi
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

CS,
What kind of people were you talking about? we never had a problem with anybody down there bothering us or anything. Just wondered if I need to watch out-don't like taking a wife fishing if some undesireables are lurking around.
Also, we got those last trout straight out from the last pole at Keaton, then went over in front of Adams Beach far enough out that grass wasn't a problem. We didn't fish over toward big grassy, but I hear the water's clearer there. See ya.
Yours in the South
lightchop

Post by lightchop »

CSM, where is, or what is Hickory Mound? I seem to have heard it mentioned a lot by Pat McGriff in his on-going report in Woods N Water, over the years. I'm thinking it's out of Keaton Beach, but I could have gotten this confused with another place around that coastal area.
I've fished out of Keaton Beach a lot, but I always did it with sons or a buddy who never knew anyone else who fished there, and never compared notes with others, although I thought about getting a chart of that place to see what the different points of interest or reference were, but never got a chart. You know of any charts of that area? :wink:
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Hickory mound Impoundment is about 5 miles east of Econfina. It is a waterfowl management area. It is also good crabbing.
What was I supposed to do today?
lightchop

Post by lightchop »

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: Missed by 20+ miles!
Thanks TC, I guess it wasn't Pat McGriff, but Tom Erle! I need to re-spool my brain with some old timey mono that has lots of memory! I've been there, just didn't know the name! Now I remember the bugs were bad, real bad. Thanks, again! :wink:
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

:thumbup:
What was I supposed to do today?
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Jessie as our friends Robert E. Lee and Jack B. would say "Those People." I'm very surprised you didn't notice them. Havn't been there in years that it wasn't packed with them. Most folks around Perry won't hardly go there crabbing in the summer time. In the winter it's not bad with them because there's no crabs. That's when the fishing gets good there also. LC I guess TC answered your question about location. From the water it's just West of Rock Island. It's my favorite area to Red Fish.
Semper Fi