Port St.Joe Bay

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sharky

Port St.Joe Bay

Post by Sharky »

Me and the Mister loaded up late Tuesday and headed south to get out of town. made it to Panacea. Got up early Wednesday am and made it to the water at Port St. Joe by 7am. Water was cool and clear up to about 4 feet. Caught fish off and on all day. A lot of sharks, lady fish, blues, 1 keeper trout and only a few cat. At 2pm it was time to go. Jessie's cork went down and fight was on. Thought for awhile might have a cobia or red fish. No such luck. Had to hand off the rod to ME :o so he could crank up and follow it. I felf like a remake of the Old Man and the Sea. Jessie had the knife, net, gaft, and gun all ready for what ever he needed. We started in 5 foot of water with the bite and ended up after 45 min. in 25 ft with a 10 foot, approx 50 lb SHARK on the line. :roll: At 2:30 I had to give him the rod back, just did not think I could keep up the fight, my arms were trembling by then. After 15 min more and 2 or 3 good looks at the MONSTER of the day, it went under the boat and broke the line. Lost a CT but saved a boat and a couple of tired fishermen. :lol: Only 1 bad event that day. 2 men at the ramp cleaning up the boat and getting tied down . They were just barely out of the water and had the ramp blocked instead of pulling up the road out of the way. They were politely asked twice to pull up out of the way after 25 min.
They had been scalloping, man I promise I will not be dipping my toe in that water after what we caught and saw. Brought home 1 blue, 1 trout, 1 spanish mack, and 2 shark under 10 ft .
I am ready to go back.
I'd rather have a bad day on the water than a good day at work!!