Grecian Snapper/Grouper

Post your favorite recipes here.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

cmccord
Site Sponsor

Grecian Snapper/Grouper

Post by cmccord »

Here is a pretty easy way to put together a delicious and colorful dish. Can be done with most any fish but IMHO is best with Grouper or Snapper. Can be easily customized to certain taste preferences. I put this together for some family and friends who were in from out of town over the past weekend and it was a huge success. Very light yet satisfying. I don't use cookbooks or specific quantities as I go on what looks right from past experiences so you may have to use your best judgment.

Fresh fillet(s) (remove rib bones if you choose) to match your number of guests.
Season as you prefer. I usually use a little garlic powder, Everglades seasoning, and some Tony Chacheres. Any additional spices to your taste are welcome as well.
3-6 multi-colored bell peppers, seeded and cut to half-dollar size slices.
2 sweet onions peeled and cut to similar size as bell peppers.
Fresh Spinach, lightly sauteed/steamed with EVOO and plenty of fresh garlic. (seasonings can be added here as well if you like). Stir constantyl. Do not over cook the spinach to mush!
If you like, pasta may also be served as a base for this meal (Angel Hair is best). I think the spinach is sufficient and much lighter on the carbs.
Optional: Mix sliced pepperocinis, diced jalopeno, sliced green olives and a handful of whole kalamata olives with a splash of EVOO, a little Tarragon vinegar and a dash of balsamic vinegar. If you have Capers available, they add a great flavor to the mix.

Clean griddle and coat lightly with EVOO. Heat and add onions when warm. Move onions around to help season the griddle. Add fish fillets beside onions.

If you have to work with a small griddle, onions can be removed to a glass bowl to be added back in a few minutes. A larger griddle works best as you can keep the onions and add peppers and onions around the fish as it cooks.

Assuming you are using a large enough griddle, allow fish to cook on first side and add remaining peppers and onions around fish when you flip the fillets. If you prefer your peppers more thoroughly cooked, add them sooner. Move peppers and onions around fish and even allow to sit on top of fillets while cooking (this helps to merge the flavors of the fish and the peppers). Remove fish when done and place in a glass pyrex or other serving dish.

Group peppers and onions together and add the optional mix above if you choose. This mix adds a little spice, but is not overly spicy for those that do enjoy a little kick. Allow juices to mix and stir while finishing. Pour mixture of peppers, onions etc over top of fillets.

Serve a bed of spinach (pasta first if you prefer), add proper sized portion of fish topped with peppers and onions. Goes great with a caesar salad and glass of white wine (or :beer: :beer: ) for those who prefer.

Enjoy! :lick:

Sorry I did not think to take a picture at the time, but it is a striking dish and has an even greater flavor :lick: :lick:
"You cannot change the wind, you can only adjust your sails." Del Suggs