Flyfishing for Tarpon

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Talltails

Flyfishing for Tarpon

Post by Talltails »

I've never given much recognition or consideration to this type of fishing, but that all changed on Sunday. While I was fishing for tarpon from my kayak yesterday(and getting dragged all over the coast), I was anchored up next to a few guys in a skiff. They were spotting several fish every few minutes and casting flies at them. They had several successful hookups with a few of the fish jumping three or more times. It was really neat to watch. Another benefit for me, I can't see the fish nearly as well from my perspective in the kayak, so after giving those guys first shot with the flies, I was able to cast into the pods they had located.
The challenge of landing these big fish from the kayak is what attracts me to that type of fishing. I may have to ditch the kayak and try feeding them flies from a boat sometime.
Chalk

Re: Flyfishing for Tarpon

Post by Chalk »

Stand up on your kayak....setting up near some sand is the key to seeing them. I have cast to a few no hook ups though...the anticipation is exciting enough
NoleFear

Post by NoleFear »

TT let me know when you want to go. I'll be happy to get you addicted.
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Get out your checkbook :D .... but it is worth it :thumbup: :thumbup:
Jacknasty

Post by Jacknasty »

Anybody gonna be out this weekend? My brother and I are thinking about heading that way tomorrow morning and staying til Sunday evening.
Ramon