Sorry Wevans - Great Offshore Day!

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Sorry Wevans - Great Offshore Day!

Post by big bend gyrene »

Wevans, saw your post about the little lady talking you out of going offshore on 10/3... have to say you were absolutely right about it being a perfect offshore day.

Met up with Sharkman at 6:30am to head out of Saint Marks... first time I've been there in a couple of years as Econfina is my preferred area, but due to the low tide we wanted to err on the safe side heading out at dark-thirty :wink: Actually left the ramp with dawn's first light just starting to show and it was stunningly pretty...
IMG_2277.JPG
IMG_2277.JPG (1.71 MiB) Viewed 2749 times
IMG_2278.JPG
IMG_2278.JPG (1.67 MiB) Viewed 2749 times
IMG_2285.JPG
IMG_2285.JPG (1.84 MiB) Viewed 2749 times
After admiring God's beautiful work a few minutes we loaded up the bait tank with live pins. Made a smooth run at WOT out to Barge 24. Went to hook on a few live pins... and... overflow pipe had fallen out and every single "live" pin had given up the ghost... :bang_1 So instead of fishing live pins, we started dropping a few dead ones as well as fishing a few jigs. Soon as we drop the first dead pin in the water, Sharkman and I had something happen neither of us had experienced... we had a squid (close to 1 foot long) race up to the bait and latch on. It was so determined to hold on, we were able to use my dip net to snatch it and put it on the end of one of our jigs. INSTANTLY had a short grouper slam it on the bottom. Water visibility was great so I was actually able to watch the grouper take the squid as it reached the bottom.

Saw a few more fish swimming around the bottom but not tons and things stayed a bit slow. It was so calm that if our bait had lived, I would have opted to run out deeper. Was somewhat shocked that we had the marker 24 area completely to ourselves for almost a full hour. After about an hour, we had another boat show up and to be honest we didn't mind having company but DID mind what they did. They motored up to within about 10 feet to ask if we had any luck, and then proceeded to do circles about 20 feet from us checking out the bottom (not trolling, just looking at their fish finder)... after about 5 circles around our boat, they threw a marker out about 10 feet from us and then anchored, reanchored, and reanchored again, each time missing their spot but coming within 10 to 20 feet of us, only to motor up again and do more circles. After what felt like 30 minutes, we decided enough was enough and moved to another spot. Would be more understanding if we had been fishing a small structure but for pete's sake... it's a BARGE :smt011

At our second spot we dropped a chum bag of frozen scallop guts I had been saving in the freezer for over a year and the cobia bite was on almost instantaneously! :thumbup: Sharkman quickly boated several nice ones...
IMG_2301.JPG
IMG_2301.JPG (1.66 MiB) Viewed 2749 times
IMG_2303.JPG
IMG_2303.JPG (563.37 KiB) Viewed 2749 times
Following Sharkman's lead I landed a 17 pounder.

The first three we caught were all singles caught 10 to 20 minutes apart but during Sharkmans next hook up, we had five swim up together and I dropped a bait down giving us a double hook up. Both were keepers and gave us a handful with us dancing around one another, ducking under one another's line, and doing our best to keep them from wrapping us in the anchor line/diving to the bottom and cutting us off on structure. We landed both, and noticed Sharkman's looked like it had just recently faced another trial...
IMG_2305.JPG
IMG_2305.JPG (616.54 KiB) Viewed 2749 times
Total cobia landed for the day = 5, but best guess on how many we saw was 10, with two considerably larger ones swimming by without taking a bait. Armed with tackle heavy enough to make 20-30 pound range cobia "catchable", we did lose 3 unseen fish that gave us monster fights... 2 of the 3 fought like VERY large cobia, but the 3rd felt like it was either a goliath or a monster shark/ray. Pulled anchor and fought it for 20 minutes, never getting it to budge an inch off the bottom.

By the 2:00pm high tide, we were tired and hot enough we called it a day. Having not been out the past few months, the return to the water with a great cobia day was perfect. Due to having a good bit of meat in the freezer, we tagged the cobia we caught and all were released to fight another day.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
boggob
Site Sponsor

Re: Sorry Wevans - Great Offshore Day!

Post by boggob »

That's some good fishing! Way to go! You are much more patient and polite than me. I would have probably have said something not so friendly to that boat.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I KNEW IT :smt010 :smt010

Sounds like y'all had a blast out there :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

:thumbup: Good trip.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Nice report and pictures, for sho. Had to snag that 2nd lighthouse one, but I'll give you credit, if anybody ask. That's pretty. :thumbup:
Keep them reports coming, since all I get to do is read about fishing, lately.
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Very nice... :thumbup: