Lanark Saturday, 10/25

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dale Hollow
Site Sponsor

Lanark Saturday, 10/25

Post by Dale Hollow »

After being a member for a few months and enjoying the countless tips on the website, my conscience tells me that it's time to contribute... My saltwater fishing experience just began this summer after relocating to the Big Bend from Tennessee. It's been a great summer as I've been able to spend 1 day per week average in the gulf, inshore. Must be beginners luck.

Saturday was no different in Lanark, off Dog Island. 2 other buddies and myselft on a 16' bass boat, took 13 keeper trout, 2 popanos, and 2 spannies. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: All taken on Cajun thunders with live shrimp. I was surprised and we were the only people out there all day. Since, I'm a TN Vols fan and havn't been bitten by the Seminoles bug, I guess most folks were at the Noles game?

Arrived at 7 am, left at 3 pm. Tried pinfish, but nothing seemed to be biteing. Shrimp seemed to be the key.

I appreciate all of the kind and courtesy feedback on the website! I've learned lots this summer. I grew up a Bass fisherman and was born and raised on Dale Hollow Lake, TN. (Small mouth fisherman will know the singnificance of this lake.) I have to admit, nothing can compare to the salt water action.

I can't wait to get acquainted with the offshore fun this upcoming spring!

Keep up the great discussions.

Dale Hollow....
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Sounds like a mighty good haul for this past Saturday :thumbup: Welcome and please continue to give reports and don't wait till Spring, them Groupa will in close to DI any time now :D :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Thanks for the report and welcome to the zoo... Your day was much more productive than ours. :thumbup:
Dale Hollow
Site Sponsor

Post by Dale Hollow »

Thanks wevans. Any advice on those Groupa? I've got the Cajun Thunder / Live Bait fishing process down now with some pretty predictable results. What kind of rigs and how deep should I go for those Groupa? Bottom fishing? At what depth and what is a good bait or lure? :D

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Many Thanks,
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I troll strech 30s in 30 ta 45 foot of water, I fish from my Bass boat, so I seldom do any bottom fishing :D I have had the most luck useing any Tiger Stripe strech "mostly blue or green" :thumbup: some of these other fellas will have ta tell ya about the bottom fishin :oops:

This is in 35' last November "I think" :D
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Dale Hollow
Site Sponsor

Post by Dale Hollow »

Ok, I'm getting the fever! Quit teasing me with the photos! :lol: A buddy just bought a 17' Boston Whaler and he is wanting to test it out this weekend. Sunday looks like the day :thumbup: :thumbup: I have a open face Shakespeare reel with a medium 7' rod using #17. Will that handle the troll stretch lures? Can I get those troll stretch lures at Wal-Mart or Kevins? (Looks like I'm going shopping as well :P )
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I troll with a Penn 113H on a 6' heavy trolling rod and 60# Big Game line :o I caught my first Groupa "in the pic" with an open face Shakespear, 20# line with a 60# leader :o but I feel that I was very lucky ta get him landed :D Walmart does carry some strech 30s, but I have no idea which ones!
I have all of these but the fourth one and last one seem ta do the best :thumbup:

DWilliams

Post by DWilliams »

Welcome aboard Dale. I'm up around Carthage..MClure's Bend at least once a year. That is some pretty country. If you are trolling try pulling a pink back silver side. That was producing for me on Friday. If you want to try some bottom fishing then the next day it is <2' seas I will most likely be going, but no rocky top chants please.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Hey Dale. Welcome aboard. Lived on Lookout mountain four years. Worked in Chattanooga. Too blame cold! :o Best fresh water fishing (Nickajack and Lake Chikamuga) I've ever seen. Good report too. :thumbup:
Last edited by CSMarine on October 30th, 2003, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

That's some nice Houseboat'n country too :thumbup: :D Glad to have you as part of us Dale :thumbup: :D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Dale Hollow
Site Sponsor

Post by Dale Hollow »

Thanks wevans!! Talked with my buddy this morning and he has the basic trolling gear for the Grouper, so it looks like I can test drive his gear first before throwing down the chips.

Looking at the tides, solunars, and predicted weather for Sunday, we'll probably spend the first few hours of the morning and try for our limit of Trout in the shallows, then move on to the Groupa.

Again, many thanks for your advice and photos... I'll let you know how we do.
Dale Hollow
Site Sponsor

Post by Dale Hollow »

Thanks for the nice welcome All! I promise not to sing the Rocky Top Chant too often. This is very close to the Swamp. However, my UT Flag does hang proudly on my mailbox!

Yep, Dale Hollow Lake is one of the prettiest in the world. I grew up there and my parents and siblings still call it home. We've had a pleasure boat docked there since the early 70's and a bass boat ready to go out on a moment's notice.

dwilliams... My family has a BBQ restuarant up at the TN/Ky state line. It's locally renown and has been in business there for over 30 years. If you ever get up into Clay Co TN, or Monroe Co KY, you have to give it a try. Frances BBQ is the name of the place over in Hestand Ky. Tell them that the Florida, periodical son sent you!!

later...
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

We don't mind if you sing Rocky Top, heck we may sing it with you :P . Welcome abored, GO NOLES.
pcbayou
Site Sponsor

Another transplant

Post by pcbayou »

It's good to hear from another transplant, Dale. I've been in Panama City (Callaway) a year and a half after 20 years in North Carolina by way of Birmingham. So what little I've learned about saltwater fishing is based on PC and the Outer Banks.
I've only been "around the bend" once, on a trip to Lanark/Dog Island the night of Saturday Oct 25. The wind and rain set in for two days, so it wasn't the best trip. But after reading your posts and others, I'm ready to go back.
Thanks to all for your posts and advice. Anytime you want to share hot spots and cool tips, I'm all eyes.