Fishin Bottoms 11-8-03

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wevans
Site Sponsor

Fishin Bottoms 11-8-03

Post by wevans »

I took my 9YO nephew out Saturday and we were met with little water and lots of wind :( We started out with topwater and he did an admrable job of casting and working a Chug Bugg :thumbup: Nothin, tried ta go into Skipper Bay, no water, drifted back out the channle, 2 big cats " he did enjoy the fight though". Back to the flats and pickup a 16"er and a 26" Spanish :thumbup: he is getting bored :o so we head out to my main flats with him driving, make three drifts, catch an 18"er, he getts broke-off by a huge Red and I get cut-off by another Spanish 8) By this time it's pushing 1:30 and we are sunburnt "forgot the sunscreen" and tired :oops: Not a great day of catching, but a very enjoyable day with my nephew :thumbup: All fish were caught on a chartuese curlytail except the big Spanish, he hit the TopDog Jr.
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

A day on the water.... :thumbup:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Since the boy wanted ta keep the Cat, I'm gonna fry him after I get through with the Grouper, Trout and Spanish today :o never tried them sails before, may start a whole new outlook on them thangs :roll:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good job wevans. Wouldn't be surprised if that 9YO nephew now has a very positive memory thanks to you. Let me know how that sail works out as a food item. I've throwed back a bunch of em.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

The sail taste pretty darn good :o I removed all red meat from it, cut into chunks and fried it just like the Grouper and Trout :thumbup: It takes a few extra steps on the cleaning, but I'll definatly eat it again :D
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Yep you get a big enough sail cat, they are worth it. Like wevans said a little more work to clean, but worth it.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I've cleaned a bunch of freshwater cats. Always skinned em. Do you approach the sail's the same way? On a freshwater cat you usually see an area of fat around the dorsal.... do you remove that? I assume the red meat you speak of is found on the lateral line area?
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".