Keeping Live Shrimp?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Littoral

Keeping Live Shrimp?

Post by Littoral »

Live shrimp, What’s the best way to keep them that way? I find that laying wet newspaper over ice in a small cooler does a real good job. Of course, if I could keep them in a live well that would be the deal but logistically that isn’t always an option.
Anybody have versions of this cooler method or other tips?
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Can you carry one of those small livewells with the battery operated air. Change some water every now and then.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Lit. I don't fish with them much anymore, but my grandfather kept them in a low-cut cardboard flat with damp sawdust. Many years ago, thats the way all the guides out of Shields Marina kept them.
Semper Fi
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Littoral

Post by Littoral »

DS, yes, I have and can can carry one of those small livewells with the battery operated air, but it's more complicated. I do sometimes carry a bait net and bait bucket. I found that with the bucket tied to a cleat I can it swing forward to rest on the front of the boat when I'm paddling somewhere. It's simple, but still more stuff to negotiate in the boat.
If the shrimp are fine wet, on paper, and cold, I don't have to think about them until I'm ready to.
CS, the sawdust is interesting, no ice?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

My uncle fishes mainly live shrimp and never uses anything other than damp sawdust on them "maybe a little ice if it's really hot out" :D
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Not a bad idea Chalk, if he has the room on the yak to mount that thing.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I worked the docks at Shields Marina when I was in high school. (1965-1967) At that time, the guide service was their main bread and butter. One of my jobs was to load the guide boats in the morning with gas, bait, tackle, etc.
My job was to clean the boats when they came back in, in the afternoon also. What shrimp that was not used would mostly still be alive in the sawdust when they came in. All they ever used was damp sawdust. Maybe having to lay a rag on them to keep them from jumping out. They used the cardboard flats that cases of canned drinks used to come in.
Semper Fi
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

The saw dust approach is amazing. Why does it work? Got to know. :o Where's our marine biologist to help here?
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Wish I could explain it, but I can't. :hammer: Leave that to someone smarter. :thumbup:

From the article titled "Mecca of Fine Fishing" by Capt. Lou Austin.

"The terminal tackle used is really simple, a rig called the "fish finder" consisting of a leader of either monofilament or steelon cable using a long leader ending with the weight and two short leaders above that hooks (my choice either #1/0 or #1 wide gap) hang from. Bait normally is live shrimp packed in sawdust (lasts all day) or frozen shrimp and squid."
Semper Fi
fdietrich

Post by fdietrich »

Years ago, when I fished at Keaton Beach, we kept live shrimp in a bucket with spanish moss. We soaked it in the water with the shrimp to get it nice and soggy and then emptied out the water. Didn't use shrimp that often but they were lively all day when we did. They would hide down in the moss and not try to jump out. Made it easier to grab them too.
CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

SHRIMP ON SAW DUST

Post by CAPTAIN CHARLIE »

The water in the saw dust evaporates. Evaporating liquids absorb heat, said my teacher in high school. The saw dust is a few degrees cooler than the air, and the water in the saw dust also wets and cools the shrimp. Ice adds to it's efficincy. Soft shell crabs are kept alive on Spanish moss and some ice when being displayed for sale in Louisiana along the roads. Simiilar concept. The damp news paper works well. You can put some chrushed ice between the news paper and dampen it. Then cover the shrimp with a piece.

Charlie