Saint Joe trip that ended w/ a broken arm

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Saint Joe trip that ended w/ a broken arm

Post by Barhopr »

I thought I'd slip out and try the Cobia with Capt. Wiley today before the predicted winds for the weekend kicked up and kept us "little boat" people off of the water. After seeing the wife and kids off to school I blazed a trail down to the coast with hopes of spending the day on calm clear seas with a good friend and a fish or two as a bonus. We splashed the Danger Ranger about 9:30 and hit the beach. The predicted 5 knot winds were nowhere to be found but not too bad. We hit a spot just off ot the beach that several had been seen in previous trips with no luck. The seas were too high to see any fish unless they were right under the boat so we decided to head west and run the beach a little. On the way there we ran over a pod of fish and started the fire drill of getting jigs out to them. We hooked up before the boat came off plane and the fight started. Early on I got the rather green fish to the surface and saw 3-4 others with him. I handed the rod to the Capt. and grabed my fly rod in hope of getting another one on the fly but the fish sounded for the bottom and when he came back up a few minutes later it appeared his friends had abandoned him. John handed the rod back over to me and I started laying the wood to him to get it over with. During this time my phone started ringing off the hook. If you have ever fished with me this is not uncommon and a ringing phone is hard for me to ignore but I did ignore it, at least until the cobe was in the box. After the high fives and the opening of the celebratory beers, I looked to see who was calling. While under way again I checked my voice mails and learned that it was my wife that was calling and she had some bad news. It seems my oldest (5) had fallen at school and the best guess was that he had broken his arm. My wife in an obvious panic was jabbering something about going to the ER, me having the insurance card, and the one thing I did hear clearly- WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU? So after being on the water for less than an hour we had to call it quits and head back. Good thing we did as the seas were really starting to get nasty. Snaped a few pics in the parking lot and back North I went. This was probably the shortest most productive trip I have been on in many years and I had a great time.. Thanks Capt. Wiley

And yes the arm was broken. Just above the elbow. Man that boy is starting with broken bones way to early.
cobe.jpg
cobe.jpg (329.98 KiB) Viewed 2489 times
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Chalk

Re: Saint Joe trip that ended w/ a broken arm

Post by Chalk »

Nice cobia BH - they fired off yesterday over here....many a fish were caught...heard it was slow though today. Wind blew out my afternoon trip.

Hope T does all right with the arm :thumbup:
BayGator

Post by BayGator »

I gotta admit BH it was one of the shortest fishing trips I have ever been on for sure. I am glad we were able to put one in the box before the emergency situation though!!! We still have a couple of weeks before they are done, come on back down and we will do it again!!! I hope your boy is heeling nicely and everything is ok. I got your fish in the freezer for the next time you make it down for a cookout.
jadams92002
Site Sponsor

Post by jadams92002 »

Nice trip, all but the broken arm part. Doesn’t he have a birthday party tomorrow? I will be braving the winds on the lake tomorrow so wish me luck.
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Nice Cobia!

I've had emergency calls like that fishing...more than once! Hope he is ok..
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Nice fish BH :thumbup: The phone call sounds like something that would happen to me. Stuff like that only happens when I try to go fishing :roll:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

Nice fish BH. Hate to hear about your son's arm.

When does the cobia run slow down?
"Plan for the worst."
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Ron Wilson wrote:Nice fish BH. Hate to hear about your son's arm.

When does the cobia run slow down?
I'll defer to Baygators prediction on this one Ron. He says a couple of weeks is the best guess. They are much like the poon..they are here until they aren't anymore.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

Good quick trip and sorry to hear about his arm! Hope he's feeling better!!! :thumbup:
Catch & Release Fish!!!!....... Not Criminals!

Image Image
BayGator

Post by BayGator »

Ron Wilson wrote:When does the cobia run slow down?
I have been told by a way better fisherman than me that the cobia will be active until the next full moon and then they will move back out to the wrecks and the deeper water. :thumbup: :thumbup:
BearsFan

Post by BearsFan »

Guess you paid yer dues last week. Sorry to hear about the arm. Call me next week if you need another "angler".
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Sorry about the arm...congrats on the cobe. Nice feesh.
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Nice fish boss. Sorry about Thomas, can't believe I haven't gotten one of those calls yet. :-?
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
hmaadd29

Post by hmaadd29 »

that sux wishing the lttle man well
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Did you tell here he's got two arms. Sorry to hear about your son clipping a wing. Must be hurting something fearce. Congrats on the Brown Suit.