Great weekend at Rock the Dock

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

grasscarp

Great weekend at Rock the Dock

Post by grasscarp »

This was my first saltwater tournament and i will have to say that it is much more fun and relaxing than bass tournaments. I also want to thank all the clowns that were piled up at heaven 5 (should be 1) for all of the entertainment that yall provided. Roadtrip once agian thank you for letting me stay there and the invite.

As for fishing, we started in Ocklocknee bay beating the bars with flukes, 3 day old dead mullet, shrimp, and occasional topwater lures. Roadtrip came out with two reds 18 and 22. A.D.D. kicked in and we started our normal drive all over till we catch something. We headed out about 6 miles and caught a few spanish and a tiny cobia. After the chum turner broke and we started to melt we headed for the hill.

Day 2 was much of the same but on the oyster bay side banging those bars with topwater. About 7am we had a 27 incher slam a zara spook and too bad so sad he was just over the limit. There were huge schools of spanish hitting glass minnows and every one we caught left a present of glass minnow throwup in the bottom of the boat. There were alot of lady fish mixed in with the spanish so the combination of lady fish poop, glass minnows, and oppressive heat finally turned us to the hill and on to the weigh in.

Congrats to all that won.
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Great weekend at Rock the Dock

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Point the ladyfish away from the boat while dehooking. :thumbup: :-D I never put those things in the boat. However they make great cut bait.
Miller_Time

Post by Miller_Time »

We had a great time and thanks again Roadtrip for letting us crash at your place!
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

It was a great weekend for fishing Grasscarp. Too bad we can't remember any of it, hahahaha. That was a nice red. It would have been a tourney winner if you had caught it two months ago.
cygraphics
Site Sponsor

Post by cygraphics »

Thanks for the great weekend Grasscarp, and letting us crash at Heaven 5. I wish I could have stayed for Saturday night, but I doubt I would have been able to function come Monday morning.
grasscarp

Post by grasscarp »

That redfish is giving me nightmares!!

Hit-n-miss i agree on the cut bait idea. What i dont understand is where is the best place to fish cut bait. Do you anchor up and throw it next to an oyster bar that is in two feet of water or do you fish it in deeper cuts?