Fishing/Boating Etiquette

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Fishing/Boating Etiquette

Post by Harmsway »

Pass up-drift (upwind) and no closer than 200 yards from another fishing boat.

More . . . :smt017 ?
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
mojokoko

Re: Fishing/Boating Etiquette

Post by mojokoko »

I had a boat a few weekends ago get right up to my drift and then just anchor right infront of me. I couldn't believe what happend. I started to troll around him in a circle and cast right to his boat.
Team Diehard -> Will Fish on an Inner-tube with a small craft advisory. Booyah
Proud member of the AKL
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Just drift right into em :o you are under-way, they anchored in your path "course ya may want ta look and see just how big a fella he is first" :smt004
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

wevans wrote:Just drift right into em :o you are under-way, they anchored in your path "course ya may want ta look and see just how big a fella he is first" :smt004
Now that's some good preaching! AMEN!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Semper Fi-sh
Site Sponsor

Post by Semper Fi-sh »

The east coast of Florida is not much better, I went to Jacksonville this past weekend to fish the intercoastal water way (Beach blvd to the Mayport jetties) and those folks over there have no since of etiquette.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Mount a ball-peen hammer on a broom stick and lay into the guys gelcoat and he'll go away.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Just shake your head, feel sorry for the ignorant bastid, then go on enjoying your fishing.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
One Keeper

Post by One Keeper »

Trouttrent, you gonna chime in on this one. I hear you've had a encounter or two :lol: :lol:
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

I can almost deal with distracted fishermen who are out for a bite just like me...what I hate the most are the twerps on those little jet-skis that come buzzing across your drift or insist on doing figure 8's off your bow while they yell to each other "HEY Y'ALL, WATCH THIS! YEEEEEEE HAAAAAAW!"

The one and only time I screamed at somebody on the water it was a group of idiots on Jet Skis near St. Marks.

Post by mojokoko »

I watched a guy in his boat hauling his kids in an intertube in the channel out of St Marks. He has a kids on the bow of the boat too. I love this time of year!
Team Diehard -> Will Fish on an Inner-tube with a small craft advisory. Booyah
Proud member of the AKL
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

We were working a bank and some guy just cuts around in front of us and anchors at the point we were working our way too (less than 200 yards away). We just shook our heads and picked up and moved.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Any yakkers reading this, please tell me how close leaves a bad wake on you. I was weaving at St Marks over the weekend and was givin a couple of kayakers a wide berth and saw a couple of folks pass a lot closer than I had. If ya'll had your druthers, what is a comfortable passing distance from ya'll? (say, less than a mile? :P )
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

It is what it is. I need no more berth or care than any other boat would be given while trolling or drift fishing. I prefer boats just shoot by me at full speed on plane. The wake is less and the boat is gone that much sooner. Many, many times I have seen boats change direction after spotting me fishing, head straight for me and not realize I'm in less than a foot of water surrounded by oyster bars. I've seen lots of gell coat and props damaged like that. 8)
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

mojokoko wrote:I watched a guy in his boat hauling his kids in an intertube in the channel out of St Marks. He has a kids on the bow of the boat too. I love this time of year!
Now that's just plain stupid. :roll:
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

wevans wrote:Just drift right into em :o you are under-way, they anchored in your path "course ya may want ta look and see just how big a fella he is first" :smt004
Sounds like he just about butt whoopin size to me.

Just shaking your head and moving on does not get the message across. Unfortunately some folks just do not know any better. If you know better you will do better(we hope). It might be in the best interest of all of us if we nicely and gently explain to our fellow boaters why we are displeased with their actions.
FF