Lookin like a fool with your boat on the ground.

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Lookin like a fool with your boat on the ground.

Post by red_yakker »

Pulled up to the Keaton ramp yesterday after work to put in and do a little scalloping before dark. There was a group with their boat sitting half on the ramp half on the trailer. It appeared that they either tried to pull it out, or back it down with the boat unhooked, and the boat slid off the back of the trailer :oops: . I tried not to laugh where they could see me, and I resisted the urge to take a quick picture to post. If it was a forum member, I'm sorry, but that was hilarious. :lol: They were gone by the time we got back in, I guess it didn't do too much damage. Remember to keep that boat hooked in until it's sitting in the water people. Stupid mistakes can cost a lot of money.

On the way out of the canal, there was a boat pulling a couple of kids in the channel on a tube. I slowed down a little, but kept enough speed to keep the nose of my little boat out of the water (about half on plane). This guy jumped up into the front of the boat and started waving his arms at us to slow down and was pointing at his kids. I just kept on going, giving them a wide berth and I waved real big :smt039 . He just kept waving his arms and looking angry. Was that wrong? If the idiot doesn't want people driving past his kids on a tube, maybe he shouldn't tow them in the channel. The tide was very low, the channel was my only option.

Farther out the channel, there was another boat anchored up fishing in the channel. I figured they must be looking for a cobia or something, so I slowed down, came off plane and gave them a wide berth. The guy just shot me a nasty look as I drove by. On the way in, they were still there, only now they were anchored up in the shallow water about 50-75 yards off from the edge of the channel. I stayed up on plane, but got as far over on the opposite side of the channel as I could. As I came by, he started shaking his fist in the air and yelling at me. Seriously? That's about as stupid as setting your treestand up on the highway, and then yelling at people who drive by for disrupting your hunting. I just waved :smt039 and kept on going.

This is why I mostly stick to the backcountry ramps this time of year.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Re: Lookin like a fool with your boat on the ground.

Post by CSMarine »

Sticking to the back country ramps don't always work either. Last time I went to Yates Creek, there was a bunch sitting on the ramp on up-side-down buckets fishing. I had to get rude for them to move out of the way so we could back the boat down. Then the others standing a few feet down the creek had their lines cast half-way across the creek, had to ask them to reel their lines in so I could get by. There was a few choice words passed back and forth before we could get out of idiotville that day.

salute2
Semper Fi
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

It's against the law to anchor in the channel, dumb to pull kids in the channel if he is on the flats and your in the channel and he don't like it sorry but thats where you belong.

The only thing I really can see you did wrong here is not get a photo of the ramp follies.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

red_yakker:

Showboat and I saw a similar situation at Keaton on Saturday. I have experienced other boaters getting huffy while both the tubing in a marked channel and fishing in a marked channel in the past. Both times during scallop season.

It is just that time of year. The ramp situation is especially horrible for some reason. I put-in at two places this weekend and saw stuff that they tell you not to do at Boating 101 both places. Unreal.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

When at the Keaton channel, ya'll give way to the idiot in the gray boat with CS Marine decal on the side. That idiot likes to play dodge boat in the channel. He is usually reeling in a big Cobia he's hooked on the poles at each channel marker. Just feel pity for this old veteran and don't run over him. He ain't all there. :smt102
Semper Fi
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

CSMarine wrote: He ain't all there. :smt102
Ahhhh....my favorite excuse! :-D
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Its the heat stroke I tell you! Years ago, I had one give me the finger in the Keaton channel once when I was heading out in my whaler to go offshore. I turned around and went back by him at half trottle acting like I was trying to hear him and in so doing, I was throwing a monster wake. On my return trip, again at half trottle, he nearly got thrown out of the boat by my wake when he stood up to cuss me. When I started laughing, he got madder than a wet sitting hen. I love idiot days at Keaton. :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

MudDucker wrote:Its the heat stroke I tell you! Years ago, I had one give me the finger in the Keaton channel once when I was heading out in my whaler to go offshore. I turned around and went back by him at half trottle acting like I was trying to hear him and in so doing, I was throwing a monster wake. On my return trip, again at half trottle, he nearly got thrown out of the boat by my wake when he stood up to cuss me. When I started laughing, he got madder than a wet sitting hen. I love idiot days at Keaton. :smt005
It's amazing what one of those "unintentional" wakes will do when properly shared! :smt005
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Just Fish
Site Sponsor

Post by Just Fish »

What a mess wrote:It's against the law to anchor in the channel.
The regulation says...
INTERFERENCE WITH NAVIGATION

•Except in the event of an emergency, it is unlawful for any person to anchor or operate a vessel in a manner that will unreasonably interfere with the navigation of other vessels.

So the reason I ask is because there are some great spots in the channel that I like to fish. So if someone can show me a regulation that says I can't anchor in the channel I would be greatful so that I can avoid getting a citation. I have not interfered with anyones navigation, however I do get some dirty looks and other jestures. Thanks
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

This IS the answer.

•Except in the event of an emergency, it is unlawful for any person to anchor or operate a vessel in a manner that will unreasonably interfere with the navigation of other vessels.

Your favorite fishing hole being in a navigable channel does not constitute an emergency for being there.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

Just Fish wrote:The regulation says...
INTERFERENCE WITH NAVIGATION

So the reason I ask is because there are some great spots in the channel that I like to fish. So if someone can show me a regulation that says I can't anchor in the channel I would be greatful so that I can avoid getting a citation. I have not interfered with anyones navigation, however I do get some dirty looks and other jestures. Thanks

Does your anchoring there constitute an obstruction to safe navigation? I suppose the case could be made either way depending on location and size of vessels in question.
850-273-8818
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

I have no problem with people fishing in the channel, as long as they position their boat in such a way that I can get past them. I've done it myself when looking for cobia, but only during the week or on days with very little boat traffic, and I don't anchor. I keep the motor running so that I can move out of the way if I need to. What bothers me is that some people act like they own the channel. I would never run on plane within 100 yards of a boat that is fishing out on the flats or up a creek, that's disrespectful. But if you're fishing the channel, you have to learn to accept that people aren't goin to slow down for you.
Last edited by red_yakker on June 30th, 2010, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Just Fish
Site Sponsor

Post by Just Fish »

It's my own risk for being there. I just wonder how the FWC will interpret "in a manner that will unreasonably interfere with the navigation of other vessels." I am obviously not interfering when other boats fly by at WOT, and I completely accept that. Just to be totally transparent, one day "Cool Runnings" came flying by WOT and yelled, "hey you are in the channel!" and I yelled back "Yea you are too!" :) Cool, if I interfered with your navigation in any way I appologize.

I am not out there to risk anyone's safety or to be obnoxious about it, I always leave more than plenty of room for just about any boat (other than the barge maybe) to easily and safely pass by without a problem.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Just Fish wrote:It's my own risk for being there. I just wonder how the FWC will interpret "in a manner that will unreasonably interfere with the navigation of other vessels." I am obviously not interfering when other boats fly by at WOT, and I completely accept that. Just to be totally transparent, one day "Cool Runnings" came flying by WOT and yelled, "hey you are in the channel!" and I yelled back "Yea you are too!" :) Cool, if I interfered with your navigation in any way I appologize.

I am not out there to risk anyone's safety or to be obnoxious about it, I always leave more than plenty of room for just about any boat (other than the barge maybe) to easily and safely pass by without a problem.
Not to be harsh, but anchoring in the channel is not a good idea. Channels are labled for navigation purposes. You may not even know you're interfering, but if people are yelling at you or having to swerve around you, then you are interfering. If you have line in the water and are causing boats to change their direction to avoid a collission of tangalation, then the risk is all not yours. Do yourself and others a favor, find some grass or oyster bars and don't sit in the channel.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.