Do you actually use your VHF?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Do you actually use your VHF?

Post by lonesouth »

Driving around, out in a group or other general communications. Do you actually use your vhf or does it just sit there tuned to 16 all the time?
850-273-8818
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Re: Do you actually use your VHF?

Post by Atticus »

Generally - mine is turned off.

Once in a blue moon I will try to call someone else who I KNOW is on the water that day. Every now and then I call a marina to check on a thunderstorm. Sometimes I listen to the weather station. Other than that mine stays off unless something is wrong (spun hub, out of gas...)
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

So, it's there for if you need help, but off in the event that someone else may need help :smt012 I leave mine on all the time, just in case someone "maybe even Atticus" needs help and I'm close by, plus I like to hear who else is out and about :smt004 :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

LEAVE MINE ON 16. NEVER KNOW WHEN SOMEONE MAY NEED HELP, CLOSE BY.EVERY NOW AND THEN YOU CAN HEAR SOME PRETTY FUNNY STUFF THAT,S NOT AN EMERGENCY
Chill-N-Grill
Site Sponsor

Post by Chill-N-Grill »

wevans wrote:So, it's there for if you need help, but off in the event that someone else may need help :smt012 I leave mine on all the time, just in case someone "maybe even Atticus" needs help and I'm close by, plus I like to hear who else is out and about :smt004 :beer:

:stupid_1
Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Post by Fighting Conch »

I usually keep mine off but Wevans makes a great point, in the future will keep it on. It 'listens' good but I have never been real sure how far my handheld unit can broadcast.
Ty one on

Post by Ty one on »

I don't carry one much on the boat anymore. I do like to listen to the chatter when I'm on the hill.

10 years ago I used my VHF alot to communicate with others, but now that everybody has a cell phone I use it to communicate with others.

Change of the times, I guess.........
If we were all crazy, Wouldn't that make us all normal.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Will confess that I don't keep mine on and use it only when need be.

Do appreciate Wevans' point but at least in my case it isn't out of lack of concern for others as much as battery conservation. Only using one battery and have a number of electronics running on the single battery. For what it's worth I have used it to help hail seatow to tow another boat in that was dead in the water at the St. Marks scallop grounds. All for helping others. :thumbup:

I get around to adding a second battery, I'll definitely keep it on the entire time I'm on the water as the few times I've listened in, it's been quite entertaining listening to some crazy conversations. :lol:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Ty one on wrote:I don't carry one much on the boat anymore. I do like to listen to the chatter when I'm on the hill.

10 years ago I used my VHF alot to communicate with others, but now that everybody has a cell phone I use it to communicate with others.

Heard someone calling you several times on Saturday, you never answered :-D guess we know why now :smt004 :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

I do keep mine on while on the water.

Folks that I know in the area do share some information back and forth.

I also listen not for specific holes but general depth purposes.

I would fish down the bank and around creek mouths & bars 24 - 7.

I often waste to much time in to shallow water.

I love to fish a plug best of all but sometimes you have to jig or jig & cork em.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
Ty one on

Post by Ty one on »

wevans wrote:
Ty one on wrote:I don't carry one much on the boat anymore. I do like to listen to the chatter when I'm on the hill.

Heard someone calling you several times on Saturday, you never answered :-D guess we know why now :smt004 :beer:

I did not fish Saturday. However, Dude did call me on my cell phone.

Wevens, Are you going to be around Shell Point this weekend? Got something something of interest.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Friday, Saturday and maybe Sunday morning :-D Watcha got goin?
Ty one on

Post by Ty one on »

wevans wrote:Friday, Saturday and maybe Sunday morning :-D Watcha got goin?

I have a little shack where you can get out of the weather while sitting in a rocking chair on the front porch.

Also the :beer: :beer: will be cold.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pho ... 1221283771
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Ty one on wrote:
wevans wrote:Friday, Saturday and maybe Sunday morning :-D Watcha got goin?

I have a little shack where you can get out of the weather while sitting in a rocking chair on the front porch.

Also the :beer: :beer: will be cold.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pho ... 1221283771
I like cold beer and rocking chairs. :smt102
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Sweet lookin place :thumbup: :thumbup: I refused ta get on facebook for years :smt012 and now you got me in :smt010 You gonna have a VHF with ya this weekend :-D I don't gots no cell phone :roll: :beer: