St. Marks 12-13-03

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CSMarine
Site Sponsor

St. Marks 12-13-03

Post by CSMarine »

Well the floatilla formed up at the Old Fort as planned, and shoved off at about 6:45am. Two boats went up river, the rest tried to brave the wind and go out the river. Water temp at the Fort was 61 degrees.

Chalk and I went up river to a hole known to have some good Mangrove Snapper at times. When we got there only one boat was there. Water temp was 63 degrees. We anchored up, and right away Chalk started putting the Snapper in the boat. Many, many shorts (under 10") with only three keepers.

We tired of dinks and decided to float and plug for trout. Floated about fifteen minutes before we started catching trout. From that point on untill about 3:00 it was "Katie bar the door." We estimated over 100 trout. Unfortunatly they were all were short except one. Also one short Red. We did manage four White Trout, and two Largemouth Bass. The catch of the day was a new rod and reel that bit Chalks grub. He managed to wrestle it to the boat. Still had the plastic on the handle and the bar code was still on it.

Left the shorts and by that time about two dozen boats, and went hunting something with size. Headed to the oyster bars down the river. Didn't take long out towards the East River to know we didn't need to be there. Wind was howling. Chalk did catch one short Red. Tried to get up on plane once and the water broke over the port side of the boat and soaked my buddy Chalk completly. :o After he changed his clothes he stopped talking to me. :cry:

We dicided to head in shortly after that. Final tally was one Speck, four White Trout, three Mangrove Snapper, a new rod and reel, and a sore arm from catching so many short Trout. For me, the most fun I've had in a while. Got to meet some of the fellers from the BB site. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Last edited by CSMarine on December 15th, 2003, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Sounds like a fine time. . :thumbup:
Chalk

Re: St. Marks 12-13-03

Post by Chalk »

CSMarine wrote:For me, the most fun I've had in a while.
I guess that includes wetting my arse, I thought I heard you say watch this :wink: :lol: . Opening this post was almost as good as opening a christmas present not knowing what to expect :lol: . I had a blast too, I'm ready to do it again. Still think them trout was suspended, not on the bottom :roll: . Think them mangrove snapper are pretty dang mean, reminded me of trying to brush my sons teeth :o , had to pry their mouth open to get the hook out :lol: I'm ready for Floatilla II :thumbup:
GoneGator
Site Sponsor

Post by GoneGator »

Sounds like a great day fishing :thumbup:
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Chalk, I didn't say "Watch this." I said "Watchcess ya'll" :lol: I stayed dry, and I was standing right beside Chalk. Thanks for blocking my share of the spray Chalk. :wink:
Semper Fi
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

We had an uneventful, but relaxing day on the water. Went out to the Rotary and trolled for 2 hours with one short and one break off to show for it, then went back up the river and joined in the mini-trout fun. I caught at least 100 in the 2 hours we were there. The best one was when I had 6 feet of line out and I stuck the rod between my knees so I could take my jacket off and had a fish on in 2 seconds.

My neighbor had a good time too, but we really wanted some grouper. The water temp out where we went was 55° and that is borderline too cold for trolling. I suspect that a rising tide would have helped the situation quite a bit. Oh well. I told my neighbor we got the best of both worlds. We caught a whole mess of fish, without having to clean any.

Good seeing everybody who came. We'll definitely do it again.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Atticus and I headed out behind Tom, after meeting up with everyone at the Fort. I didn't have to go very far to know I didn't want to go to the Rotary. We stayed in about 18 feet of water. We trolled up several short grouper, a couple of sea bass, and finally caught 1 keeper Gag that went 23". The bite shut down completely about an hour before dead low tide, so we headed up the river to find the rest of the flotilla. We had no problem spotting CS and Chalk. CS made Chalk wear the wig. :D We fell in behind them and immediately got into the small trout. After catching a zillion on a straight jig and grub, I decided to play. I pulled out the Cajun Thunder. This produced the only keeper trout, 17", of the day. Atticus said he doesn't get the oppertunity to catch a bunch of fish very often, so we stayed in the river until 2:30 catching a small trout nearly every cast. Final tally, 1 keeper grouper, 1 keeper speck, 4 white trout, a couple of short mangroves, and well over 200 short trout.

Atticus and I had a very enjoyable day. It was good to meet some fellow forum members. I look forward to The BBFN Flotilla II.
What was I supposed to do today?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Yep, we can verify the Cajun Thunder trout....Here's what I caught them on...Straight jig, rat-l-trap (diving & sinker), trout spin, carolina rigged shrimp, mirrolure. The only time they wouldn't bite was when CSM washed his hands :roll: :wink: :lol:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I hope that I will have a boat AND have my honeydos caught up when the next one rolls around :D Sounds like all had a great time :thumbup: :thumbup:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Do you remember the guy in the green river hawk (gheenoe clone)?

http://www.jerrysbait.com/fishingreport.htm Was that the guy with the beard? 200 reds :o
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Yes, that's him. When did he catch 200 reds? We fished close to him Sat. We asked what he caught, and he didn't tell us that. :o
Semper Fi
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good job to all of you who participated. :thumbup: Thanks for the reports from all. Great information and good reporting. CS, sounds like you did a real nice job inspite of taking on a little water :lol: Sometimes the captain gets accused of mother natures little twists. ( Nobody had to swim home did they?) Sounds like Chalk was kill'n em. If it were April the 1st.... I'd swear CS and Chalk had one of the best April Fools stories with that rod and reel recovery....never met CS yet but I have met Chalk....and (I'M STILL NOT SURE I BELIEVE IT) Sure wish I could have joined you fellows. I could see my boat set'n in the back yard every time I went out on the back deck to cut another piece of trim for the kitchen floor molding I was working on and wondering how you fellows were doing :cry: Glad TC had a chance to get out. He does have one advantage.... in being able to work during the week on a major project and clear up some time for a trip like this. If I can't get it done at night then its the weekend that makes up the slack! :o I'm trying to get ready for 425 sq ft of tile to go down this week.....fridge and stove moved to garage... all other furniture from kitchen/dlinning/living rooms moved to different rooms in the house :o Old carpet and vinyl yet to come up... since the rooms were cleared out decided to paint some walls in the process... One chair and couch left in living room...TV stuck in the fireplace.... great ambience :D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".