Offshore Masacre -- Carrabelle 9-10-10

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Offshore Masacre -- Carrabelle 9-10-10

Post by dolphinatic »

After many, many, many months of no fishing, an opportunity finally presented itself to take a much needed day of for some offshore action. Stayed up till 1:30am Friday morning and was up at 3:30am to head to Carrabelle :sleep: I met up with my buddy Raymond around 4:15am, loaded gear, and continued the journey. We arrived at our point of destination just before sunrise. There was just a slight breeze and the water was flat as glass :wink:

While we were waiting for the others to arrive, we got out the cast net to look for some live bait. On the first cast with the net, we were confronted by a "fisherman" at the ramp with an attitude wanting to know why we were casting and disturbing his fishing. We didn't acknowledge him. Made yet another cast that was no where near him. This caused him to turn towards Raymond and asked if he wanted his azz kicked :o I put down my gear and waited for the response which came rather quickly. Pleasantries were exchanged and the guy told us he would see us on the water. That was met by "No need, we can finish it here!" The guy rethought his response and decided to just do what Ray told him to do, which I will not repeat here :oops: . Me, I was ready to go. I was quickly taken back to a few of those younger nights hanging out with Troutrent at the Moon :roll: By this time the other guys had shown up and were backing the boat down to the water. We decided that we were going to have a good day regardless, and just walked away. A few minutes later, we were off :thumbup:

We headed SW and ran to a spot 27 miles out.....
DSC_0294.JPG
DSC_0294.JPG (2.23 MiB) Viewed 4588 times
We got to the spot to find this....
DSC_0298.JPG
DSC_0298.JPG (2.32 MiB) Viewed 4588 times
We baited up, and dropped down. Here's what we found.....
DSC_0300.JPG
DSC_0300.JPG (2.81 MiB) Viewed 4588 times
DSC_0302.JPG
DSC_0302.JPG (2.87 MiB) Viewed 4588 times
All we could find were snapper after snapper....all BIG! We decided that the pain of having to catch and release such nice fish was too much to bear, so we set course for another spot. Marked this one for 10/1 :wink: We got to the next spot a short while later and found good structure holding LOTS of fish. Down went some bait......up came some fish almost immediately...
DSC_0304.JPG
DSC_0304.JPG (2.69 MiB) Viewed 4588 times
DSC_0305.JPG
DSC_0305.JPG (2.68 MiB) Viewed 4588 times
DSC_0306.JPG
DSC_0306.JPG (2.42 MiB) Viewed 4588 times
DSC_0308.JPG
DSC_0308.JPG (2.24 MiB) Viewed 4588 times
We stayed on this spot for the next few hours and managed to get our 6 man limit of grouper consisting of gags, reds, hind & scamp. We even found a few triggers to add to the mix. We had numerous break offs too :x Even pulled up half a gag only to wonder what took the other half. The older gent on the boat, Tom, wanted to hook up with an AJ, so I told him that I would oblige his request. We headed off to the last spot and marked fish schooling about 80 ft. down. I told him to bait up, drop down and hold on. A few moments later, it was ON!!!
DSC_0312.JPG
DSC_0312.JPG (2.45 MiB) Viewed 4588 times
About 20 minutes later, he was about to quit when I spotted a fish down below and told him that it was almost over and to keep hanging on....
DSC_0311.JPG
DSC_0311.JPG (1.97 MiB) Viewed 4588 times
DSC_0313.JPG
DSC_0313.JPG (2.77 MiB) Viewed 4588 times
DSC_0314.JPG
DSC_0314.JPG (3.02 MiB) Viewed 4588 times
Here's the AJ gaffed perfectly by yours truly...
DSC_0321.JPG
DSC_0321.JPG (2.19 MiB) Viewed 4588 times
Here's how Tom felt afterwards....
DSC_0317.JPG
DSC_0317.JPG (2.52 MiB) Viewed 4588 times
Five minutes later, he was ready to go again :thumbup: We stayed on this spot wearing the AJ's out, or maybe it was the other way around :roll:
DSC_0327.JPG
DSC_0327.JPG (2.89 MiB) Viewed 4588 times
DSC_0324.JPG
DSC_0324.JPG (2.3 MiB) Viewed 4588 times
DSC_0325.JPG
DSC_0325.JPG (2.46 MiB) Viewed 4588 times
With the day getting away from us, and a long ride ahead, we called it a day with a limit of everything we could keep. We enjoyed a smooth ride back in and never saw a wave more than 6 inches all day :thumbup: Couldn't ask for a better day on the water...maybe a cooler one. Water temp varied between 89 and 96 degrees :o Bait of the day was anything we threw at them...cigar minnows, LY's, squid, ham sandwich, etc.... Ended up with a 6 man limit of grouper, limit of AJ's, couple of nice triggerfish and a king. Don't think we could have done much else. Released numerous keeper red snapper with one going 20 lbs! Great day on the water with a great group of guys :thumbup:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Re: Offshore Masacre -- Carrabelle 9-10-10

Post by RodBow »

holy moly! that's what a fishing trip is supposed to be! Fantastic!
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
bman

Post by bman »

Super trip :thumbup:
And the Speckle Hind is one cool fish!

One question left unanswered
Did Raymond catch any bait with the cast net? :smt005
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I just don't understand why you guys would bother another man's fish. :smt011
Tom Keels
Site Founder

PinFishKing
Site Sponsor

Post by PinFishKing »

Looks like you had an awesome day. I can't wait to get back. We are looking at the weekend of 9/24 to give it a shot.
You just can't fix stupid.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Awesome report, Tom! :thumbup: :beer: Man, I need to get in the detailing business... :smt010 :wink:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

great report Tom. Congrats on fabulous day of fishing.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

That wuz some day on the pond Tom. Thanks for sharing the stories and the photos
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

big bend gyrene wrote:Awesome report, Tom! :thumbup: :beer: Man, I need to get in the detailing business... :smt010 :wink:
Funny....I was thinking about getting into the skin care business. Seems like there's more flexibility there :lol:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
toden
Site Sponsor

Post by toden »

Great day on the water! Looks like a blast
AQUAHOLIC

Post by AQUAHOLIC »

sounds like you guys had a blast,awesome report ,congrats
FHC
Site Sponsor

Post by FHC »

good report :thumbup:
Flanders
Site Sponsor

Post by Flanders »

Awesome report and great pics... :thumbup: :thumbup:
By the way, you wasn't throwing the net over one of JT's holes were you?? :lol:
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
screaminseamen

Post by screaminseamen »

Nice....where did you guys put in at? im sure west of carrabelle.....
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

bman wrote:Super trip :thumbup:
And the Speckle Hind is one cool fish!

One question left unanswered
Did Raymond catch any bait with the cast net? :smt005
Sure did. Thats what caught alot of the nicer fish. I thought for a minute there that it was going to catch him a trash fish almost as big as a few of the AJs we hauled in :smt005 Some people just have no intuition. Raymond is a 15 year deputy along with the other knuckleheads I was with....and he was packing a .45 :o

Team BevisRealty.com