Advice for new boater?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Advice for new boater?

Post by GaryDroze »

I've done okay wade-fishing the last decade, but the calf-deep mud slogging has taken a toll on my knees. I want to move up to a boat, but can't abide the idea of trailering. Trying to decide between putting a Torqeedo 1003 electric (supposedly 3hp equivalent) on a cartop square stern canoe, versus a hobie pedal drive. My working area is St Marks creeks & Wakulla Beach area. I have no clue what the boating challenges would be, since I've mostly waded these spots. Any suggestions/warnings from small boaters?
TallyFish

Re: Advice for new boater?

Post by TallyFish »

Keep in mind you will have to haul around the Hobie from vehicle to water. No problem with two people but if you are alone it can be a challenge depending on your strength. The pedel drive is great for trolling and getting point to point but be aware that the draft of the Hobie is about 18" with the fins extended requiring you to switch to paddle when the water gets skinny. Rent a few of the Hobie styles before you decide on which craft to purchase.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

The Torqeedo is an interesting concept. The idea of a totally self contained electric is attractive. The 1003 is claiming the same output as a 3hp gas outboard. Many years ago I had a 12' jon boat with a 3 horse. The only issues I would see you having are trying to travel into the current. If you get into a swift current in a creek the water speed may be enough to somewhat impede your headway. This could cause handling problems. The current will want to turn the boat. A stern mounted conventional electric would have the same problems.

Maybe some of the kayakers will chime in and answer your Hobie pedal drive questions.

If you choose to go with the square stern canoe and electric I would make 2 suggestions. 1 - Rather than a canoe take a look at something like the River Hawk. A lot more stable and much more room. 2 - I would put the boat on a trailer. Much less hassle than car topping.
What was I supposed to do today?
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

WHOSE FISH IS IT?
One Keeper

Post by One Keeper »

Can't imagine what you would catch if you had a boat. I'm a firm believer " If it ain't broke don't fix it " Just sayin. :-D
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

If you are thinking about Yakin' here is a great site to contact people that do this a lot.
Great bunch of folks.

http://www.fcka.net/home/index.html
bman

Post by bman »

Either would work...
I have a Yak and its got its time and place- catch a lot of fish out of it.
But I would probably go for the canoe or a small John boat. A John will be more stable than the canoe. They are inexpensive and you can take a buddy.

The electric motor is a cool idea but I would be inclined to get a small gas engine and an electric backup.
Dad and I used a 14 foot aluminum boat with a 15hp and a Minn Kota trolling motor for Years.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I'd stick to wading. :wink:

Big Trout - Gary Droze - 5.15 lbs - $130
Big Redfish - Gary Droze - 6.17 lbs - $210
1st Place - Gary Droze - 13.62 lbs - $211
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Juan wrote:I'd stick to wading. :wink:

Big Trout - Gary Droze - 5.15 lbs - $130
Big Redfish - Gary Droze - 6.17 lbs - $210
1st Place - Gary Droze - 13.62 lbs - $211
What Juan said! :thumbup:

Gary, great to see you've joined the board. This said, those of us who fish the area much and keep up with local reports know you've got mad skillz so it may be tough to wiggle knowledge out of the kayak group. :wink: :lol:

Know you're seeking the minimalist path, but my advice is get you a REAL boat... join me and Harmsway in the Panga-maniac club so you can get cobes and grouper offshore and run back into skinny water for your reds! :beer: :-D
Again, welcome to the board! salute1
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Gary,

Not trying to dissuade you, I actually looked at the Torqueedos online after we spoke Saturday and it is an interesting concept. However, why the Torqueedo? What is the opposition to trailering a small boat? the 9.9 equivelent Torqueedo cost almost 4k and weighs 75 pounds. For seveal years I ran a Gheenoe with a 9.9 Johnson that couldn't have weighed much more than that (bought the whole rig for less than $1500). I trailered it sometimes, took the motor off and put them in a pick-up sometimes and with buddies I could put it on top a SUV by using an extend-a-hitch. It topped out at about 28MPH and I fished WB, SJB, ST Marks all the time. We even spent 2.5 weeks in ENP on that boat. This weekend I'll be duck hunting out of a River Hawk with a 45# Riptide. We'll travel over 3 miles round trip carrying decoys, guns, etc without issue. That whole rig can be purchased for under 3k with a trailer. That rig is fairly heavy, but two of us launch it by hand all the time and it gets extremely skinny. Be happy to take you for a ride in it if you're interested

Parkway Marine currently has a very lightly used RiverHawk (I believe BF2) with a small Honda 4 stroke that can be had for less than a Torqueedo and will have the range to get to all you favorite huants.

Just food for thought. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Thanks for all that insight, folks. I didn't know those Hobie pedals demand 18" of draft, and had not thought about steering issues in current. Fishing on foot is productive under certain conditions, but I'm a one-trick pony: if there's a north wind, moderate surf temp, and an all-day low tide (as last tourney), the pickings can be easy. But high tides & south winds chase waders like me back to the levee banks, which are strictly hit & miss.

Figured it was time to start learning how you guys do it the other 75% of the time, when the tides/wind don't favor humping it through the mud. Can tell I have tons to learn, but I'm retiring from coaching in a coupla years, and the awesome wife gave me the green light to spend the extra free time exploring (for me) uncharted waters. That requires a boat.

Speaking of awesome, this website and forum is tremendous. Lotta knowledge here!
mraquatics

Post by mraquatics »

I have a square stern that I use with a Rude 6 or 32lb transom trolling motor. The electric is great when I am going less than 8 or so miles with very little wind and mild currents. I have had the electric out when the wind and tide picked up pretty quick and it makes for very slow progress and it eats up your power quickly. However it does make manuevering the grasses and shallows easier on low tides. Also great for Bass fishing small freshwater areas. Typically I prefer the 6hp though (or in your case the 3). Gets me in and out of spots much quicker and the weather is much less of a concern. Can get a bit tiring if the tide is too low and your picking it up and putting it down often. When it gets real skinny I usually fall back to an oar or push pole when Im using gas. With all of that said, a Yak is tempting for ease of use. Although I do like to be able to stand and sight fish from the canoe. I also like the canoe ability to carry weight as I like to camp the shore quite often.
Michael K
"What does a fish know about the water in which it swims its whole life?"
Rainman
Site Sponsor

Post by Rainman »

My recommendation is a used 14ft jon boat with a 9.9. I have one and love it. I can get back into stoney and the creeks with no problems. I can carry my gear, cast net, cooler, etc. and have room to fish, stretch the legs, and even bring a guest. It drafts inches and if you can't get to the really skinny places you can get out and walk like your used to. Plus on nice days you can get out and drift the flats... Mine runs about 20 mph with one person and gear. They are fairly inexpensive on the used side and very versatile. Will need a trailer though...
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

GaryDroze wrote:I've done okay wade-fishing the last decade, but the calf-deep mud slogging has taken a toll on my knees. I want to move up to a boat, but can't abide the idea of trailering. Trying to decide between putting a Torqeedo 1003 electric (supposedly 3hp equivalent) on a cartop square stern canoe, versus a hobie pedal drive. My working area is St Marks creeks & Wakulla Beach area. I have no clue what the boating challenges would be, since I've mostly waded these spots. Any suggestions/warnings from small boaters?
I am with Rainman Gary. I fished out of one for years and it is perfect for doing what you want to do. :thumbup: As for not wanting to trailer. You could slip the motor off the stern and put it in the trunk, slap the boat on the roof and your off.

I would still get a trailer though.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Thanks for the ideas, Eric (and all of you!). After reading all the replies, I think I'll take a chance with the Torquedo 1003 and a Pro Strike square stern canoe (just under 12 ft, 48 lbs). I can wheel-walk that set-up along the levees. Definitely limits the options, compared to the true boaters. But it will still extend my range well past previous foot-based territory. Probably just my wader mindset, but I like the idea of learning every fishable inch of a smaller area, versus just a general feel for larger regions. Guess if I bomb out on next year's Redtrout Shootout with this rig, I'll hafta suck it up and join the big boys!