Spring Creek 1-12-04

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Littoral

Spring Creek 1-12-04

Post by Littoral »

I fished early today (1/20) and caught a 27" trout. Before I put a tape to it I thought it would go +30. It looked like a pacific steelhead. Needless to stay I was damn happy. I also caught ~40 more trout in the 15-22" range. Most were about 18. Some redfish also showed up, six undersized, 12-15". They were deep and pretty lethargic. I was in the neighborhood of Spring Creek.
I put fish in my freezer recently so the best part about the 27 is she's still out there.
Last edited by Littoral on February 6th, 2009, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Near Spring Creek, I know that spot :wink: .....I think all trout over 24" need to go back, take a picture, let it go, to fight again another day :thumbup: Nice report, What was your bait? Capt. Mikes?
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Real nice catch.. :thumbup:
GaSam

Post by GaSam »

:thumbup: sounds like a pretty good day! When you say reds were deep, how deep were they? Thanks for report!
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Welcome GaSam!
I'd have to guess the fish were in 8'.
I used 1/4 oz. jigs with a couple different soft baits. Not Captn' Mikes. In such cold water I tend to go with smaller baits (sure catch grubs) believing that the fishes metabolism can't handle anything very big. Or they just can't afford the energy spent chasing bigger food. I read all that somewhere back when and it made good sense.
Ok. I guess that's why I caught the bigger fish on the larger (5") jerk bait, trout killer grey/pink sparkle. Low & Slow.
The only minus on releasing the 27 is I didn't get a photo. I'd really like to have had one of her.
GaSam

Post by GaSam »

Thanks for the welcome!!

Been reading now for about a week, decided to sign up!
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

WTG Lit and welcome GaSam :thumbup: them bigguns aint worth a spit for eattin no how, to strong a taste to em :(
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Good catch, Lit. Sounds like you found the honey hole. :thumbup:

Welcome aboard GaSam.
What was I supposed to do today?
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Fine fishing Lit. :thumbup: Don't think it's the honeyhole Lit has found there TC. I think ole Lit has done his homework well, and figured out the pattern. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Semper Fi
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

CS, I appreciate the vote of confidence. In this case finding the right spot was more the ticket. I found them deep in the right spot.
That said, there is no substitute for studying. Now that I'm past 40 I can see a little more about how much there is to learn about fishing. I thought I understood a lot years ago. Wrong. Now I know I'm just figuring enough out to get lucky once in a while. What is different though is that these days I really enjoy studying about it anywhere I can.
It doesn't hurt to work with world class marine biologists that love nothing more than talking about fish.
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Lit, ol' man, thanks for another great report! Your reports are so good, I wish you would start reporting your "skunked" days too! One thing you do is share information, of course, as that is what makes a report. But you also tantalize, right?

At the risk of asking too much, just how "near" Spring Creek were you? OK, so don't tell us. But by "Spring Creek" did you mean the town? Or the River?

Honestly, I fished Spring Creek for the first time in my life just a couple of weeks ago, on a warmish winter day, after reading one of your posts. I reported on it here, I think. Got skunked but learned and saw a lot.

So, I am wondering if "near" could possibly mean you were OUT of the river and into Oyster Bay or something. Maybe you were up a creek or tributary of the river. Could you at least let us know where you were in relation to the Gulf?

We love ya' man! :thumbup:

PS: Where do we sign up for that class your takin'?
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

I've been thinking about this and have figured something out. Given the way I got skunked the other day in Spring Creek the River, I have decided that Littoral was telling us something more than meets the eye on the location of his exploits. Notice how he didn't say he was "IN" Spring Creek, or "ON" Spring Creek. Or even "JUST OUTSIDE" Spring Creek.

Then notice this: He doesn't even really say he was "NEAR" Spring Creek, he only SEEMS to say that. Instead he says he was"'NEAR'" Spring Creek. He put quote marks around "NEAR." If he was talking to us he might just do what some folks do and put up two fingers of each hand when he said "'near'" just to give us a further clue that he was NO WHERE NEAR SPRING CREEK!!!! :hammer: :hammer:

That's the only way I can figure it. :wink:
Last edited by Aucilla on January 16th, 2004, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Nolester, I really do hate not detailing everything. I even apologize. My nature is to share everything about good fishing because the more people experience it the more they’ll consider taking care of habitat etc. I’m a science teacher by profession.
You’re right, I wasn’t “inâ€
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Littoral:
I don’t get skunked often though. If it’s bad enough I’ll even put on some fishbites just to catch a pinfish. It doesn’t satisfy much but at least my hands smell like fish.
Litt, that was funny. Us landlubbers who don't get to fish so often want to shake your hand!

Of course, I am jivin' with you. 8) I, and the rest of us on here, really very much appreciate all you report.

I am just glad I was able to bait some more info out of you! It is the only fishing I've done since getting skunked in all my secret spots in Spring Creek two weeks ago!
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Littoral wrote:As Smeagel (Gollum) would say, it’s precious.
Smeagel, trust master, tell us the way.....lmao :wink: :lol: