Bald Point

For all the land lubbers, the place for land, pier and surf fishing info.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Reel Addiction
Site Sponsor

Bald Point

Post by Reel Addiction »

I had some yard work to do today but my Bride wanted to go to the Beach. So, not wanting to disappoint her, I reluctantly put my yard tools away and grabbed her beach chair. I have no desire to lay in the sun and tan my hide so I quickly thought of a place where I could fish and we could both enjoy the great outdoors. Wanting to support our many local parks, I suggested we go to Bald Point. She could sun and I could fish. I threw some gear in the truck and off we went. My thoughts were to get a couple dozen shrimp and see what would hit them under a popping cork. We arrived at Crum's and no shrimp. I purchased some gulps and I hit the mouth of the Ocklochnee Bay around 11:00AM. The tide was just starting to turn with the in coming tide so I was able to wade out a good ways when I noticed a lot of surface activity about 200 yards off the beach. What I was seeing was an aggressive attack of Spanish Macs hitting the bait fish that were schooling off the beach. I threw some gulps at them but that was not what they wanted. I ran back and got my spoon box and went back out looking for some dinner. What I did not have were any leaders so I was chucking spoons and gotcha plugs tied to 12 pound test. Needless to say, I lost more tackle that landed fish. I was simple not prepared to fish for Spanish today. However, I ended up with four nice fish for the smoker and a good reason to spend some of my hard earned money on new tackle. The best part of the day was spending the afternoon watching those aggressive Spanish attack the bait pods all around me. They would explode out of the water and dive into the bait pods with such speed and force that I spent much of my time just watching the show, and what a show it was. They were everywhere. If you like to fish for the macs, you can load up in no time. Make sure you pack the correct tackle and you will clean up. You can also head out and just watch the show as it is one of Natures best. Get out there and get you some!
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Re: Bald Point

Post by Harmsway »

Thanks for the good report, RA. :thumbup: Now I'm really sorry I didn't go yesterday. :smt009
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I've had that same problem before in my kayak when I didn't take enough leader line. The best solution I've found in a pinch is to double about 3 feet of your 12 lb mono and tie a spider hitch. Then tie the spoon or plug to the doubled up line.

Not the greatest solution, but it works better than straight 12 lb. mono.

Thanks for the report.
Steve Stinson
lordsfisher
Site Sponsor

Post by lordsfisher »

Good report. Thanks.
Steve Stinson wrote:I've had that same problem before in my kayak when I didn't take enough leader line. The best solution I've found in a pinch is to double about 3 feet of your 12 lb mono and tie a spider hitch. Then tie the spoon or plug to the doubled up line.
Brilliant idea, actually. Take it further, if you twisted four pieces together, you might actually come home with your lure. I've decided not to fish with less than 40 lb. when those toothy critters are around. I got cut off on 30 lb. fluorocarbon twice the last time out.
"O LORD Almighty, blessed is the man who trusts in you." Psalm 84:12
louielakebrad

Post by louielakebrad »

lordsfisher wrote:Good report. Thanks.
Steve Stinson wrote:I've had that same problem before in my kayak when I didn't take enough leader line. The best solution I've found in a pinch is to double about 3 feet of your 12 lb mono and tie a spider hitch. Then tie the spoon or plug to the doubled up line.
Brilliant idea, actually. Take it further, if you twisted four pieces together, you might actually come home with your lure. I've decided not to fish with less than 40 lb. when those toothy critters are around. I got cut off on 30 lb. fluorocarbon twice the last time out.
I wouldn't try to go out there with anything less than a wire leader when fishing for these toothy critters. It takes less than you would think to break your line when its rubbing on there teeth. I would stay with about 15 or 20 lb. test with a 2 to 3 foot wire leader and you will be able to feel the bite a lot better and you will have relatively no fear of getting cutoff. Though I have had mackerel shear a wire leader , it will give you the best shot of landing a good fish.
The Bass Man
bman

Post by bman »

Great report- another friend was in them at Bald Point Friday.

I always like a small black swivel and about 12 inches of light wire... If you use a brass or silver swivel they will hit it and cut your line there.
To you newer guys - Learn the Haywire twist. quick and easy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFDKX5wjRJU[/video]
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"