MinnKota Riptide SP 70/CP/AP Instalation Issues...Help

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishfeeder
Site Sponsor

MinnKota Riptide SP 70/CP/AP Instalation Issues...Help

Post by fishfeeder »

I am in the process of installing a Riptide SP 70/CP/AP. I currently have a Riptide SM 80 mounted on a MKA-52/62 Quick Release Bracket so I can slide the motor out over the water when I am fishing.

here is the problem: the mounting holes for the new SP 70 mounting holes dont line up with the holes on the MKA-52/62 bracket and it doesnt look like they make a similiar (sliding ) bracket that fits the SP 70 Motor.

Below is a picture of the mount and the old 80lbs hand controled unit.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Attachments
IMG_3124.jpg
IMG_3124.jpg (47.42 KiB) Viewed 3310 times
If you release them they will grow!!!!
wevans
Site Sponsor

Re: MinnKota Riptide SP 70/CP/AP Instalation Issues...Help

Post by wevans »

Can you make or have made an adaptor plate to fit inbetween the two? Probably a 1 inch tall aluminum or SS box would do the trick :-D :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
BullHound

Post by BullHound »

I've got the same trolling motor you are trying to install. They make a quick release bracket that mounts to the bow and all you use is a "u" shaped bar to lock the trolling motor in place. It works great and you can easily remove the trolling motor. It won't solve your problem with using the bracket you have or the same holes but it's a great alternative. It's also great if you have a second boat and want to transfer your trolling motor back and forth.

http://store.minnkotamotors.com/product ... se_Bracket
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

The front holes should be the same....the difference between the two MK removable mounts is the length. You should be able to line the front holes up and mark the others and drill'm. Will have to take the base cover off...but you will have to do that either way.
CW2008

Post by CW2008 »

I just finished installing a Riptide RT 80 on my nauticstar, replacing an old Riptide. The holes didn't line up and because the gunwhale is sloped and the base of the riptide is small, there was not much flat to mount to (especially after giving over an inch of clearance for the shaft). I cut a piece of King Starboard to act as a base plate. It does two things, it covers the old holes and gives more surface for the trolling motor to mount to. It is very sturdy and looks good - at least to me.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

The holes line up - I have had both at the same time...the other bolts may not line up but the front two do. I am talking about the mount...it probably won't fit the boat...the AP have a shorter range of motion.
fishfeeder
Site Sponsor

Post by fishfeeder »

Thanks.....Chalk...CW...Bull...Wevan..

My main problem is the size of the front hatch door under the casting platform, and the limited space to mount any trolling motor. The only way my old motor would mount and still clear the rub rail was with the sliding mount shown above. You can see in the picture how far I had to slide the mount out in order to clear the rub rail. the bolt holes on the old Rip 80 are 3.25" apart, the holes on the Riptide SP 70 are 5.25 apart.

I think my only option is to have a piece of aluminum plate machined to act as a adapter.

What discouraging is, I sent Minn Kota 3 messages through their service link with no responce beyond the auto responce saying they would get back to me within 3-5 days....Nice!!
Attachments
BowMes.JPG
BowMes.JPG (24.97 KiB) Viewed 3145 times
If you release them they will grow!!!!