Drop-Shot for trout

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

That is what I'm saying. I'm not saying it will necessarily work very well, just an idea.
Ken
dowawoo

slip sinker

Post by dowawoo »

Well I use a bullet sinker, just like you would use to texas rig a worm, fact, use plastic worms too, work good some times for reds..but also will take and use a 1/16oz bullet sinker, tie a hook on and rig a live shrimp, thread the hook up the tail and turn it to get the tip out of the top side of the shrimp, with the sinker its enough to sort of flip and if the trout or reds are where you can see them it is a killer, quiet, and they love it..
:thumbup:
dowawoo
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Have to try that with the shrimp dowa. Good tip. I've used a 6" chartusse worm Texas rigged for reds. No other color. :thumbup:
Semper Fi
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Do you consider it necessary to use a "special action" rod, for drop shot fishing, or will any "tippy" rod do ?
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

No Cran, it does not take a special rod. You do need a spinning rig to drop shot. I use a 7' Medium action with a fast tip. Easier to feel the fish because the hook is suspended between you and the weight.
Semper Fi
dowawoo

drop shot

Post by dowawoo »

I use med light rods, all 7 ft, had tried longer, but just used to the 7 ft, any shorter doesn't feel right, rods that are stiff don't get the distance...
I also use a lure made by Yozuri, called the twitching minnow, use it in a red and yellow color, fish tear them up..but they are unreal to find...I understand Yozuri quit making them, can't understand why, but I search for them all the time...if you all can find them, give them a try, and by the way, let me know where you get them so I can buy some more..
Don
dowawoo