Spinning Reel Help ???

Need to buy or sell something, post it here.(Only Sponsor Businesses Please)

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Spinning Reel Help ???

Post by Gulf Coast »

Looking to buy my kid (10) a spinning reel and nice rod, the one he has is used up.I want a shimamo reel I know that, but there are too many to choose from.All I have is baitcasters and while he can throws them 1 out of 5 is a backlash and can only throw with the wind.He fishes the tournys with us and I need him to cast a fluke to balance us out on the boat, everyone is casting something different through different water columns
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Re: Spinning Reel Help ???

Post by Reel Cowboy »

The Sedonas and Saharas are very good reels, especially for the cost.
South Georgia Outdoors and Kevin's always seem to have a quality combo on display that's reasonably priced.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Shimano Sustain SA3000FE on a 7ft medium action Shimano Terramar :-D
Just kidding, what sort of price range you looking for?
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Thanks R/C !! Thanks also to Kevin's and SGO for support of the club !!
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Don't mind pay for a good reel if I can get a lot of use out of it, besides I'm a dealer(small) so I am paying cost and sales tax !! :-D :thumbup: :thumbup:
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

What about the ratio's, you guys like the faster ones ?
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

I stand corrected red yakker, won't be going there
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Dude, He's 10. Go to Walmart and buy him 3 Penn combo for $30.00 bucks each. They fish just fine, will last for several years and if he steps on the rod and breaks it just toss it overboard & hand him the next one. If he throws a wind knot, fix it later, hand him another one. Believe me this will give you a whole lot more fishing time. This method has worked for me. You can let them fix their own boo-boo's at home and add to their learning experiences.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Been doing that Demon, time to up grade. I might even like to use one from time to time
kirt123

Post by kirt123 »

I was never into spinning rigs til I got my wife a stradic to use, I owned a few shimano's up to the symetre and didnt like them, now my calcutta's and such dont get too much use since I got 2 more stradics, retail is like 159 so you should be closer to the 100 range for something you may like to use, they cast a weightless fluke very well with braid. I seemed to have more problems with the cheaper spinners with braid also, I think it has to do with the line wrapping process on some of the higher end shimano spinners. I also hear good things on the Saros(think they are almost identical to the stradis for about 30 bucks cheaper retail). If he knows how to take care of them then I would spring for one. My .02 cents.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

When it comes to cheap combos, I like to get the Pflueger Presidents. They will last several years if you take care of them, plus they are a pretty decent reel for the price (about $60 for the reel, $100 for a combo). I've caught some large redfish and never had one malfunction.

I bought one a couple years ago "for my wife". She uses it when comes along, I take it along when I need an extra rod in the boat. I liked it so much I bought another one for myself.

As far as the ratio goes, the only time I like the real high speed reels is when working a topwater, but it's not a neccessity, plus I'm normally using a baitcaster when throwing topwater.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Thanks ,went with the sahara .Ordered be here Fri.
Last edited by Gulf Coast on May 11th, 2011, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishinfrenzi15

Post by fishinfrenzi15 »

red_yakker wrote:When it comes to cheap combos, I like to get the Pflueger Presidents. They will last several years if you take care of them, plus they are a pretty decent reel for the price (about $60 for the reel, $100 for a combo). I've caught some large redfish and never had one malfunction.
So i'm guessin they hold up well in saltwater use? I've always heard they are good reels for the price, but was never sure about how long they would last with saltwater fishing.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Presidents hold up fine. I did exactly like red and have ended up picking that one up all the time for certain baits.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

fishinfrenzi15 wrote:
red_yakker wrote:When it comes to cheap combos, I like to get the Pflueger Presidents. They will last several years if you take care of them, plus they are a pretty decent reel for the price (about $60 for the reel, $100 for a combo). I've caught some large redfish and never had one malfunction.
So i'm guessin they hold up well in saltwater use? I've always heard they are good reels for the price, but was never sure about how long they would last with saltwater fishing.
I've got a couple of the Pflueger Presidents as well as a couple of Shimano Stradics and a single Symetre. The stradics were gifts from a friend who was unhappy at the anti-reverse giving up the ghost, but a good cleaning of the bearing unit solved that problem and with about 6 years on them they are still working great! :thumbup: I wouldn't trade the Shimanos for Presidents, BUT for the money can't complain too much over the performance of the Presidents. The one criticism I will offer is that the handles on the two Presidents I have both started to have the metal-paint flake off of them after a single season even with good cleanings after each trip out. The reels themselves still perform fine, but just looked jacked-up with the cheap handles looking horrible attached to the still good-looking reels. Just my .02. :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945