Keaton Beach 1/29/04

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

birddog
Site Sponsor

Keaton Beach 1/29/04

Post by birddog »

We left Keaton Beach Marina around 2:00 p.m. and headed south towards Piney pt. Started out fishing in 3' water, with no luck. Proceeded to 4' and 6' no luck. We came back in to 2 ' and spent the next 50 min. landing 26 trout. The largest of which was 27 " and the smallest was 18". Every fish was caught on a red and white "Catch 2000". By far the best day I've ever had at Keaton.
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Amazing Keaton Beach

Post by Fisherman989 »

It's amazing how the trout have congregated around Keaton this winter...it's very unusual for them to be on the flats at all.
We went to Keaton Beach on Jan 23rd but the water was too low at the basin to put in...so we went to Steinhatchee and launched with no trouble...but the fish are not down there like 20 miles up the coast. Three of us struck out.
It's really good to know they were south of Keaton as well as north.
I caught several on Catch 2000's yesterday during our very good outing...in 2-3 ft of water.
What a good report for last Thursday. :lol:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

You guys are going to make the month long :wink: , I might have to try a little catch and release..nice report... :thumbup:
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

: :thumbup: Very nice catch...
Last edited by dstockwell on February 2nd, 2004, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

:thumbup: Good report.
What was I supposed to do today?
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Fine fishing indeed. :thumbup:
Semper Fi
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good job and report... even if it is a bit disgusting for the rest of us... heading into Feb! :D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Sounds to me like nobody is going fishing in February.
That means I'm going -eventually.
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Me Too

Post by Fisherman989 »

I'm going too. Even been thinking about going even if I have to throw everything back all month.
You know trout season is open in the Atlantic.... :P
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

I re-read Birddogs post and for anybody who didn't really notice he said he worked hard at 3ft, went deeper and then came back to 2ft and found a lot of nice trout in shallow water. Sometimes we can't find fish, it happens, but don't overlook real shallow water, especially where it's most likely to be a few degrees warmer.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Littoral, That was an awesome afternoon and I believe there was a lesson to be learned there but I'm not sure what it was. All of the trout were in a football field size area of 2' water. If you drifted outside of that area the bite stopped, even though there was no change in the bottom structure or water depth. I didn't check the water temp, but maybe there was a zone of warmer 2' water amidst all the other 2' water.
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Agreed

Post by Fisherman989 »

We experienced the very same thing on our last trip (Jan31st). The fish were in no more than 300-400 yds lateral.....and when out of 2 ft (toward off shore).....no action. Must be the temperature....or something. :-D