econfina redfish

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bigshrek

econfina redfish

Post by bigshrek »

I Fished out of the econfina 4 times last year during september and october and caught redfish every trip the biggest being 32 inches on a pinfish under a cajun thunder. I was wondering around what time the reds get thick again up around the grass and oyster bars and are able to be sight fished. I assume its just to darn hot right now but i might be wrong. i dont need any spots im just wondering when i should shift my focus to that style of fishing.
Andrew Broeseker aka Bigshrek
thatallguy

Re: econfina redfish

Post by thatallguy »

well unfortunatly most people get on here and look for tips and spots and very few will give you any so its doubtfull that u will have anyone answer this question... and seeing as how you go fishing with me the majority of the time u no i wont be any help answering it.
Redfish Jim
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfish Jim »

You can catch redfish in this area all year. They stay in the same general areas all the time and have to eat in all seasons. September and October are the best months in my opinion, but I've had phenomenal days in the dead of winter around econfina. Target a couple days after a front in January and February where you have bluebird skies, calm or light south wind, and 60 degree air temps. Fish creeks on a high tide until you find them and make sure to get out before the water falls or you'll get trapped. I catch 'em in the heat of summer too. Mornings are probably best during really hot weather.

Good luck and welcome.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Not too hot... have caught plenty throughout the summer months out of Ecky. That shared, I've got about six favorite bars and during spring and fall more likely to catch fish off each while in summer I might have to run to each and may not catch fish at every bar, but usually will find them plenty thick on at least one or two. :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
RayMalloy

Post by RayMalloy »

Fish the same spots now as you did then, only use cut mullet or small whole mullet under the CT rather than pinfish. They switch to pinfish in the fall because the mullet are too big by then. Also, the falling tide is often more productive in the summer than the rising tide.

The folks that act like their spots are secret are so funny, their bar is not on a chart, and that 20 foot (larger?) boat is not noticed by anyone, HAAAHAA, cant hardly hear it coming at 40 miles per hour!
"Fish don't care how much you paid for your tackle."
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

RayMalloy wrote:The folks that act like their spots are secret are so funny, their bar is not on a chart, and that 20 foot (larger?) boat is not noticed by anyone, HAAAHAA, cant hardly hear it coming at 40 miles per hour!
Exactly why I didn't say anything about "secret" spots, just "favorite" ones... know full well that my favorite grass-line ones are also favorite ones of some of the best fishermen that visit this forum.

Completely agree with RayMalloy that someone would have to be blind to miss most "secret" spots being fished on the grass line.

However, redfish hotspots out in the middle of the flats (and there are more than most folks would think) are a totally different story and that's ALL I'm going to say about it. ;-)
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
RayMalloy

Post by RayMalloy »

I was not actually referring to anyone on this thread because each one of these advices was helpful and I agree that Spots on the open flats are a different animal altogether. I still remember a few from my motorboat days. :-D
Semper Fi Gyrene!
IYAOYAS
77-81
PS, come out of the Ecofina and turn east (left) about a mile or so and find the mullet schools in the creek mouths leading over to Hickory Mound and it is game on with the Reds right now.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Gosh, let's just all sing Kumbayah and have a swap meet with everyone's GPS coordinates, shall we?

Come on, guys. You've made a couple posts and then bitch 'cause nobody will give you exact coordinates to catch your limit? How about participating for a little while first?

There are tons of anglers on this site who do share a lot of information, if you'll go back and read some posts. And I also know there are many like me who have spent years learning the nuances of the area's flats by trial and error. That's part of what makes fishing fun, by learning and exploring on your own. There are other great sources available as well, such as Gerry's Democrat stories and articles in magazines like Salt Water Sportsman and other web sites. But those sources are best utilized for the how and when aspects. The where is learned by experience and that only comes by getting out on the water and actually fishing.
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

silverking wrote:Gosh, let's just all sing Kumbayah and have a swap meet with everyone's GPS coordinates, shall we?

Come on, guys. You've made a couple posts and then bitch 'cause nobody will give you exact coordinates to catch your limit? How about participating for a little while first?

There are tons of anglers on this site who do share a lot of information, if you'll go back and read some posts. And I also know there are many like me who have spent years learning the nuances of the area's flats by trial and error. That's part of what makes fishing fun, by learning and exploring on your own. There are other great sources available as well, such as Gerry's Democrat stories and articles in magazines like Salt Water Sportsman and other web sites. But those sources are best utilized for the how and when aspects. The where is learned by experience and that only comes by getting out on the water and actually fishing.
I agree with Silver King. The best way to learn is to get out there and mess up! Then you really know where NOT to go, thus narrowing down the area of "where TO go." If you hit something sub surface, mark it, and fish that bad boy the next time around.

You also have to remember...there is a tournament this weekend. Probably not the best time to ask about spots to fish. :-D
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

silverking wrote:Gosh, let's just all sing Kumbayah and have a swap meet with everyone's GPS coordinates, shall we?

best post today! Spots not be secret, but you wouldnt' know them if you don't try to find them yourself. You also wouldn't understand the nuances. Despite the low tide post, some spots are better low tide spots and some are high tide spots. Some spots certain lures work better than others. Wind direction can have a huge affect. If we all shared this detail it would be killing not fishing...
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
RayMalloy

Post by RayMalloy »

Lets do go back and read some posts, perhaps like the beginnig of this thread.

HMMMMM, Big Shrek made a point not to ask for spots when he posted the thread. Nope no bitchin there.

The other new guy thatallguy gave a warning about the attitude of this site (and that is what caught my attention).

A couple of good posts with some timely advice. Nope no bitchin there

That fracking yaker chimes in about the attitude that you just exhibited. HMMM.

Gyrene chimes in, I joke back gyrene to gyrene, certainly no bitchin there.

OOPs heres some bitchin!
You have to have more posts and you have to have fish experience to find them. Malarky!

I watched 14 boats run into the Long Bar Sunday in 3 hours time while I was anchoed on it, 11 had fishing rods, 3 had BBF stickers on the side, but I tried to warn everyone of them but not a one listened or took my advice, a couple slowed down but decided to run into anyway back up and run into it again.
Your logic says I should just sit back and let them run into it as hard as they can because they need the experience? Then they will know the spot. Really?
That is plain sorry and Unsat.

I have 52 years of secret spots and almost all were shown and or given to me, (some might be yours :o ) I try to give these to new people every chance I get! salute2

BTW, I feel like Gulf Coast did when he ventured into the Plastic Yak world, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, No not really, hey watch out for that Bar! Crunch!
Fish ON!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Sorry if I offended your overly-generous nature, Ray. I've spent the last 20+ years writing about fishing and boating and have shared many tricks/tips in the process.
Warning about navigational hazards is one thing. Showing someone a spot and then have them sitting there the next time you go is another. I still feel something earned is more appreciated than a handout.
Last edited by silverking on July 8th, 2011, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

RayMalloy wrote:OOPs heres some bitchin!
You have to have more posts and you have to have fish experience to find them. Malarky!

I watched 14 boats run into the Long Bar Sunday in 3 hours time while I was anchoed on it, 11 had fishing rods, 3 had BBF stickers on the side, but I tried to warn everyone of them but not a one listened or took my advice, a couple slowed down but decided to run into anyway back up and run into it again.
Your logic says I should just sit back and let them run into it as hard as they can because they need the experience? Then they will know the spot. Really?
That is plain sorry and Unsat.

I have 52 years of secret spots and almost all were shown and or given to me, (some might be yours :o ) I try to give these to new people every chance I get! salute2

BTW, I feel like Gulf Coast did when he ventured into the Plastic Yak world, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, No not really, hey watch out for that Bar! Crunch!
Fish ON!
No idea what this post says. My only point is that solely b/c you don't have knowledge you feel is work product grained through much effort, and therefore you don't feel the desire to protect that knowledge, that doesn't mean you should laugh at what others may have, or believe they have. I try to help others as well, but I don't belittle the knowledge that some on this forum possess. Good luck on the long bar and happy fishing!
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
bigshrek

Post by bigshrek »

thanks for the pointers guys. Didnt mean to stir up any heated conversations but i will try these tactics out and see what happens.
Andrew Broeseker aka Bigshrek
thatallguy

Post by thatallguy »

well idk about anyone else but i think i saw people askin advice not for a specific spot. cause we all no you wouldnt give it anyways so there would be no point. some good advice on here but all the other talk is worthless