Weather question

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Weather question

Post by Sir reel »

Was checking the marine forcast for this week and noticed that the term "chance of rain" was used in a couple of cases and either the day before or the day after the term "chance of showers" was used. I'm not trying to be flip, but does any one know if there is a difference between the two terms? Which one is more likely to get you wet! :o
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
sharkboy
Site Sponsor

Post by sharkboy »

I've spent a great deal of time pondering this one myself. Still haven't come to a conclusion.

It shows up other places too. I asked my Dad over in Alabama the other night on the phone if they had gotten any rain and he said "No, just a couple of showers." I don't want to ask him to explain the difference because obviously I'm supposed to know it already. He always said I didn't have sense enough to get in out of the rain, but never said I didn't know to come in out of a shower.
I must fish.
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

My guess is, it is just different forecasters using different terms. If I am bearing down hard on a forecast I like to read the unedited forecast from the NWS. That is the raw data that the other services use to write their forecast. I think you can get a better sense of the times when the forecast is essentially a wild, somewhat educated, guess.
Ken