Boat assistance

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Eerman
Site Sponsor

Boat assistance

Post by Eerman »

So I'm braving the post waters. I've been reading this site for about a year and I've gotta say, it's better than any magazine you can find. So here's the deal...I've been in town (Tallahassee) for about a year. I'm originally from West "by God" Virginia and needless to say the fishing is a little different. I'm getting to the point where a boat is a possibility but I don't have a clue. Currently, I'm leaning towards a Sundance or Carolina Skiff. I grew up bassfishing and would like to continue but the saltwater is calling my name. Any advice on a boat that is capable of both at a reasonable price? Also, I'm REALLY short on space and would probably have to store it somewhere (aka Marina). Any advice along those lines? Thanks in advance...Hats off to Tom Keel and an incredible job.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Wecome aboard Eerman :beer: When ya say reasonable, just how reasonable are we talking? :D I use me G3 Pro 175 for Bass, inshore and offshore "though some consider the latter foolish" 8) Brand new off the floor it was 13,500 plus a few add ons and tax, title, and financing :thumbup: and if you can't put up a covered shelter for it, then you could just rent a storage unit instead of an expensive slip at the marina :lol: and don't be shy about asking ? or giving advice, we all can learn something from one another :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Thanks for the quick response Wevans. 13,500 is what I would call reasonable...anything pushing 20,000 is a big stretch and not probably a good idea for my first boat. I know G3 is aluminum...what about the effects of saltwater? Any special considerations along those lines? Are saltwater motors and trolling motors really necessary? Like I said, I'm a rookie at this saltwater stuff? Sorry to be blabbering; but I'm like a kid in a candy store.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

The biggest thing I have a problem with is the toggle switches getting corroded if not used pretty regular, mine has a 4 stroke 40 Yammy and it pushes the boat 32 MPH with the SS prop and sipps the fuel :thumbup: for an all round fishing boat, I don't think it can be beat and the all welded constuction shows no sign of stress and I put mine trough the ringer quite often and have 323 hours on the motor "it's a 2002 rig" I fish at least once a week and usually more :o :lol:
Time for bed, I'll check back in tomorrow morning :sleep:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Welcome, and thanks for the complements. I think a 16 foot center console carolina skiff with a 40 yam will run you about 10g. Add a trolling motor and accessories and you should be able to be under 12 out the door, and it will hold up a lot better with less maintanence than an aluminum. It should work great for area lakes and rivers too. Jerry's bait and tackle rents storage for pretty cheap and its on the way to the coast.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Thanks Tom...P.S. I'm sending a check your way tommorrow. Where can I find Jerry's Bait and Tackle...I've seen you guys writing about it.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Just south of woodville on woodville highway before you get to 267.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

You want find a better deal than this "unless some getts foolish with the bidding" :beer:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2458654411
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Welcome Eerman. :D

We’re glad to have you here. Both wevans and Tom gave you some pretty good suggestions and they both have the experiences to back up their offerings. I have a couple of thoughts that I’ll throw out just for consideration. IMO, the majority of folks who become transplanted freshwater enthusiasts to this area, at some point start leaning more towards saltwater activities than fresh but that doesn’t mean they quit fishing fresh water. I mention that only for you to consider when choosing your ride. You probably feel more comfortable with fishing in fresh water, but a good number of us at some point have gotten hooked on fishing saltwater more than fresh.
I'm REALLY short on space and would probably have to store it somewhere
This issue may be more troublesome. With out knowing what your space limitations are (apartment, neighborhood restrictions, etc) it’s tough to offer a suggestion. I can say that storing at a marina can really increase your operating costs. Even just storing on your trailer in a fenced in area can run you as much as 60 to 80 dollars a month depending on length. Dry storage(covered) or in the water is considerably more. So, if at all possible I would try to find an alternative or look for something that I could keep at home. I have a 19’ SemiV Carolina Skiff with a 75 Yamaha and am able to keep it in my back yard. I have a fairly small area and coming in off the street…getting around a large pine tree into my back yard is a bit of a squeeze but I have been able to do it. That also allows me to keep some equipment in my boat that I would never leave in it if I stored it off my property and that can make a big difference in the time required using the boat.

As far as a deal, the one wevans mentioned might be right down your alley. Tthere is an add in the Tallahassee Democrat that (if available) is in your stated reasonable range.

01 Carolina Skiff 19’, 90hp Honda 4 stroke, fishfinder, GPS, Bimini top, 3 yr. extended warranty. Load master trailer, $10,000. 539-3344
First Appeared in the Tallahassee Democrat (FL)
Thursday, February 5, 2004
Again, we’re glad your with us and like wevans said
don't be shy about asking ? or giving advice, we all can learn something from one another

:thumbup: :thumbup: :D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Welcome aboard Eerman. :thumbup: As the others mentioned, don't hesitate to put your two cents in on any subject. It's just like fishing. You learn something new ever time you go. It seems I learn something new every time I log on here. Although, some of it I'd just soon forget. :wink: As far as the boat, I have an 18' CC that I use in fresh water. The key to having one that'll do both is the shape of the bottom. Hang up a big CC on a stump and you don't pull it off with the trolling motor.
Try to make it to the BBF Social in Newport on the 28th.
Semper Fi
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Welcome Eerman. If 20K is your max, there are lots of boats in that range, and even some deeper ones. Maybe look a a bay type boat.
seatrout99
Site Sponsor

Post by seatrout99 »

Eerman,

You ever fished Stonewall Jackson, Shaver's Fork, or floated the Trough??
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

If I didn't already have a boat, this one would be a very serious consideration "current retail of around 21,000 :D

http://www.usauctions.com/BoatDetail.aspx?BoatID=4872
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Seatrout99,
I've fished Stonewall many times...one of my favorite lakes. Most of my fishing was done on New and Gauley Rivers. Especially, where the two meet (making the Kanawha River). GREAT smallmouth fishing and absolutely no fishing pressure. A canoe, a trolling motor, and a pack of grubs was all you needed. I also used to wade the New River all the time...also a great time.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Wevans, with a boat like that you could run a shuttle from bottoms road to Tampa :o :lol: